Part 7 - Movie

On the way back, Reigen kept stumbling and very nearly falling face-first on the sidewalk. "I think I'm gonna throw up..." he mumbled. 

"Please don't." I grabbed his arm and helped him walk straight.

"Thanks, Y/N, you're a good friend."

"Friend?" Maybe now wasn't the best time to bring it up, but I did anyway. "You ghosted me."

"Haha... ghosted... maybe you, um, needed some salt." Reigen started snickering.

I fumed. "It's not funny! You completely stopped talking to me." I stared at him waiting for an appropriate response and he looked a bit more sullen.

"I'm sorry," he broke free from my grasp and sat in the middle of the sidewalk. "I've been losing everything. I don't expect you to forgive me."

This got very serious and very depressing quickly. I didn't want to put him in that position when he was already clearly drunk and down. "Hey, hey." I reached out my hand. "Get up. I think you've been going through a lot lately." Reigen nodded solemnly. "Let's go, we have to watch Iron Man 2, remember?"

"Iron Man 2?? That's my favorite movie!" Reigen sprung up from the ground. "How did you know?" And apparently he had forgotten that he told me it was his favorite movie less than 15 minutes ago. 

"I don't know. I think I may have some latent psychic powers..." 

"I told you, Y/N, I knew it." He slung his arm around my shoulders. "You'll be coming back to the office now, right?"

"Yeah." We approached my house. "This is the place."

"Whoa, whoa. Nice place. No bad vibes. Definitely not haunted. Great choice!"

"Thank you?" I had to laugh to myself. He was consistently ridiculous about this psychic stuff no matter what state he was in. "Anyway, make yourself at home." Reigen kicked off his shoes and literally leapt onto the couch. "I'll be right back."

I went to grab some blankets for him and to change back into sweatpants. Just in case he actually was going to be sick, I grabbed a bucket, too. What an unexpected night. I was actually excited, though. I didn't hate Iron Man - which I would put on, because I felt bad for him - and it seemed like we could be friends again after this. And maybe I could get the scoop on why Mob left. 

By the time I walked back to the couch, Reigen was asleep. Figures. 

"YO!" I shouted. He instantly woke up, confused and mumbling. "Sleep here. I got you a blanket." I tossed it on top of him. 

"Oh... Y/N. You are the sweetest person I know." He pulled up the blanket and was already barely conscious. "You are such a sweetheart. You are such an angel." He sniffled. Was he crying or something? "I would never.. never let a spirit haunt you..." and he drifted off back to sleep already.

My heart felt oddly soft for him in that moment. I realized that this whole time, I barely regarded him as a person. Yes, I thought we were friends, but my focus was always about what I would see or hear about every time I came to visit. I wanted to understand Mob's psychic powers, I wanted to believe in the supernatural - those things became real to me, but Reigen was obviously putting on a facade. 

He was a dramatic guy. Everything seemed like a performance. How could I actually connect with someone like that? Maybe after this night, I would know.