-cruel summer.

John considered Peggy to be an abnormally calm person. In his five years as her boyfriend and two as her husband, he had never heard her raise her voice more than a few meters. Even when they fought! (which wasn't very often.) He found it terrifying.

Peggy didn't make much of a reaction at Insults. Besides gasping lightly and muttering a small "rude" under her breath. Arguing didn't bother the youngest Schuyler sister much ethier. She didn't particularly like it but saw it as something that happens naturally.
John figured that had something to do with growing up with two sisters so close in age.

The long haired man often found himself trying to remember a time peggy had been overly excited. (that wasn't their wedding day) his mind drifted to a moment when they first started dating.

-❁❁❁-

Saturday, November 5th. The young couple sat quietly listening to the sounds of the brewing storm outside Peggy's window. their scheduled picnic date had been pushed back due to the weather. "maybe mother nature is just lonely and doesn't want anyone else to be happy." John thought, turning to the girl beside him. oh, how lovely she looked sitting there picking at her nails, her mind in a distant place.

How he managed to get a date with her was still a mystery to the boy. He gently took her auburn hair in his hand, seemingly awaking her from her trance. Peggy blushed, leaning into his touch. That made his heart flip several times as he continued to stroke her hair. 

she murmured something he couldn't quite make out, looking at him with curious eyes. "hm?" he responded, not yet ceasing his movements through her curls. "Do you mind if I turn on some music?" she repeated bashfully. John shook his head firmly as he slid his hand back to his lap. "not at all, pegs." Schuyler grinned fondly at the nickname before connecting her phone to the speaker and hitting shuffle on a random playlist.

When the familiar beat of her favorite song filled her ears, Peggy couldn't contain her smile. she quickly found the closest thing in reach (her favorite hairbrush,) and used it at a microphone. She jogged to the front of the room as the first lyric started.

Fever dream high in the quiet of the night. You know that I caught it Bad, bad boy Shiny toy with a price You know that I bought it

she sang, clutching her pretend microphone.

Killing me slow, out the window I'm always waiting for you to be waiting below Devils roll the dice, angels roll their eyes What doesn't kill me makes me want you more

In that moment she forgot John was there, only focusing on the build up she knew was coming.

And it's new, the shape of your body It's blue, the feeling I've got And it's ooh, whoa, oh It's a cruel summer It's cool, that's what I tell 'em No rules in breakable heaven But ooh, whoa oh It's a cruel summer With you. 

she sang the verse, dramatically twirling and throwing her head back, giggling when she almost fell.

John watched in amazement as not-so-gracefully sang and danced to a song he had never heard before. The raven-haired boy had never felt as lovesick as he did right now. He'd never seen this side of Peggy before, despite having known her a year. When they hung out with the gang, she was always quiet and reserved, which is what sparked his interest in her in the first place.

'm drunk in the back of the car And I cried like a baby coming home from the bar (oh) Said I'm fine, but it wasn't true I don't wanna keep secrets just to keep you And I snuck in through the garden gate
Every night that summer just to seal my fate (oh) And I screamed for whatever it's worth "I love you, " ain't that the worst thing you ever heard? He looks up grinning like a devil.

she jumped up and down as she sang the bridge, smiling and wide as ever.

He assumed that was her favorite part.

He watched the rest of her performance with a full heart. He knew deep down that this side of her was only for the people she was closest to.

she felt close to him. 

A/N- not proofread, we die like women. cute sappy jeggy, AND a reason to use cruel summer lyrics??? win/win. happy to finally be updating again!! please, leave a comment let's chat!! as always, hope you enjoyed!