Chapter 12

"Remember that we are having finals soon! Better start reviewing!" The teacher announced before exiting the classroom.

Kurumi slouched on her desk at the word, finals. "Why do we have exams already?"

She then turned to Kenma. "Do you get good grades?"

Kenma glanced at her for split second before nodding. 

She pouted at his answer.  "Lucky! I wish I was smart! I really have to study hard to get good grades..."

"Why don't you ask Kuroo to help?" Kenma mumbled.

"He's in a different grade though," she said with a look of puzzlement.

"But he is really smart unlike how he looks..."

Kurumi almost burst out laughing at his last few words. "But I don't want to bother him since he needs to study for his own test as well. Also, I always study for exams with Keiji, so it's fine."

Kenma just nodded before going back to his game.

• • •

Kurumi was in the subway along with Kuroo and Kenma like her usual evenings when she got a call from Akaashi. "Keiji?"

"Ume, we have exams soon," he reminded.

Kurumi groaned at his reminder. "I know that, no need to remind me."

She could feel Akaashi glaring at her through his phone. 

"Anyway, when do you want to start studying?"

Kurumi thought for a while. "Earlier the better right? Why not start tomorrow already?"

"That's true. Should I go over to your house after school?"

"Sure, but is that okay with you? Maybe it will be better if I go to your house instead."

"But you have to walk home at night then. It's better for me to go over," Akaashi said. 

"AKAASHI, I WANT TO JOIN!" Kurumi heard Bokuto yell on the other line.

"I wanna join as well~ Sounds like fun~" Kuroo grinned as he took her phone.

She stared at him in shock. "Kuroo-san?!"

"Why will we study together when we are in different grades?" Akaashi reasoned.

"We can always help you," Kuroo explained.

"Maybe you, but not Bokuto-san," Akaashi mumbled.

Kurumi had to slap her hands to her mouth to cover it before she bursts out laughing.

"AKAASHI?!" Bokuto yelled in shock.

Kuroo snickered. "Well, see you tomorrow."

"Kuroo-san, why did you do that?" Kurumi asked as she retrieved her phone back.

Kuroo leaned his face closer to hers. "Why not, Kitten?"

"U-Uh..." She couldn't really answer.

"Don't tell me you hate me now!" He dramatically said as he pretended to cry.

"I don't hate you!" She said in a panic.

"Do you like me then?" He asked with a grin.

When Kurumi could not answer but blush only, he chuckled as he ruffled her hair. "It was joking."

He then turned to Kenma. "Kenma, join us tomorrow."

Kenme gave him a tired look. "I don't want to."

"Oya? I didn't ask. I am making you join," Kuroo smirked.

Kenma just sighed and went back to his game.

• • •

"Keiji, I don't get this," Kurumi asked.

Akaashi looked at the question before explaining it to her. She was listening to his explanation when Bokuto leaned onto Akaashi. "Akaashi! I'm so bored!"

Akaashi sighed. "You haven't even read the book for 10 minutes."

"But this is so boring!" Bokuto complained.

"Why did you say you want to join us then?" Akaashi asked.

Bokuto just pouted as he turned back to his textbook, making Akaashi sigh in relief. Akaashi continued to explain to Kurumi the concept when Bokuto slammed his head to the desk. "My brain hurts!"

Kuroo began to burst out laughing at his friend's state while Akaashi rubbed his temple. 

"Akaashi! Let's play volleyball for a few minutes!" Bokuto pleaded.

Akaashi ruffled his hair with a sigh before standing up. "Just a few minutes."

Bokuto quickly got up from the floor and followed Akaashi out.

"Poor Keiji," Kurumi mumbled until she realized something. "He didn't finish explaining this to me yet!"

Kuroo moved closer to her and took her textbook. She glanced at him and saw him reading the textbook before placing it back down in front of her. He then began to explain the concept, but she could not really hear what he was saying as she was busy looking at his face.

"Do you understand it now?" Kuroo asked, snapping her back to reality.

Kurumi's eyes widened before she shook her head.

Kuroo smirked at he looked at her. "Were you only paying attention to my face, Kitten?"

She blushed as she glanced at her textbook to avoid looking at his face. When she continued to avoid him, he forced her to look at him by cupping her face between his hands. When she was forced to look at him, she saw his smirking face. She felt her heart beating in a fast rate as she didn't know what to do. Her heart was about to burst open.

"You know, I'm still here," Kenma mumbled beside Kuroo, causing Kurumi's face to be tinted with a deeper shade of red.

Kuroo let go of Kurumi's face before explaining the concept to her once again. 

• • •

All the study sessions ended up with Kuroo teaching Kurumi while Akaashi was being bothered by a whining Bokuto. Kurumi felt bad for Akaashi as she could tell he was getting tired. However, Akaashi being Akaashi, he managed to study for the finals. Kurumi wondered if her friend was a robot instead of a human.

In Kurumi's case, she felt pretty confident with this finals thanks to Kuroo. He was quite good at explaining the topics that she immediately understood the lessons. "Kuroo-san, I never knew that you were so smart!"

"Kitten?! What does that supposed to mean?!" Kuroo dramatically cried out.

"I knew you were smart, but you are really good at teaching!" Kurumi quickly clarified what she meant. 

Kuroo grinned at her words. "I can always teach you if you want."

"That's really nice of you, but it's okay. I don't want to be a bother again," she declined.

"You are never a bother to me. I will always have time for you! Ask me anything if you have questions," he said which caught her by a bit of surprise.

• • •

Kurumi managed to answer most of the questions on the test with ease and exam week went by quickly. 

"Good job, guys! I hope all of you have passed the exams. If you fail, you are staying after school to retake them. Anyway, enjoy your break for now!" The teacher said before dismissing them.

Since there was no club either, Kurumi and Kenma headed towards the gates and there they saw Kuroo waiting for them. "Kenma! Kitten! How were your exams?"

"Fine," Kenma mumbled without even glancing away from his game.

"I think I actually did a good job!" Kurumi smiled excitedly.

Kuroo looked satisfied before they began to head home.