Chapter one: Middle school

Disclaimer - the first few chapters kinda suck, but wait until like chapter 10. Also this book gets kinda dark around chapter 17, which is also one of my favorite chapters.

Smiley (1st person)

So, Phil claims that he dreamt that we were in middle school. I can't say I fully believe him. I mean, I trust him, it's just that saying you lived 5 years of your life in a dream seems a little farfetched. I'm just saying. Anyway, today was our first day at riddle middle. Me, Phred, Zack and Phil all walked to school together. It wasn't a very long walk, and we all live in the same neighborhood. Well, except for Phred, he has an apartment. Once we arrived, I realized just how big the school was. I heard that middle schools are larger than elementary schools, but going from 7 students to about 600 is a pretty big jump. The school had 2 floors. Once inside, we found our lockers. Our lockers were far from each other. I was a little disappointed by this. I looked over my schedule. 6 out of my 7 classes were with one of my friends, so that was nice. The one class I had alone was algebra, but that was ok. You don't really socialize much in math anyway. By the time my locker was organized, I still had a good 20 minutes before my first class. I spent those 20 minutes exploring the campus. I had to admit, it was much smaller on the inside. The bell rang, and I went to class.

Phil (1st person)

I think the day went pretty well. The school is massive, though. A lot of my classes are with my friends. I know I just got here, but I can already tell that this is exactly the same as my old school. Lots of work, too much homework, and people I don't know. Well, I do have 7 teachers now, but other than that, it's the same. I already know that Smiley will love it here. She loves boring stuff. I mean, not to be rude or anything, but she loves school. Not the fun parts, but like lectures and stuff. I barely had enough time to shove everything into my locker. My teachers seem generic. They grade your work, give you work, and yell at you. I liked Mrs. Sleep better, that's for sure. I think Phred is the only person I know who's more bored in school than me. Zack seems like he's accepting with this. He's a pretty content person in general. I'm not really looking forward to this year, but I don't think anyone is. Except maybe, you know, Smiley.

Phred (1st person)

Boring is the only word I can use to describe today. All the kids are boring, the teachers are boring, the school itself is boring, and our work is boring. I still can't believe that Phil is tutoring Smiley. Smiley seems like a teacher's pet, and I don't mean that in a bad way, and Phil seems like a B student. I'm pretty much a C student, so I know I shouldn't be judging them on grades. I'm not the most "Hardworking" student, according to my last school's guidance counselor. I am glad to have more friends this year though, because it used to be just Phil. Then with the whole abduction thing, I met Smiley and Zack as well.

Pico (1st person)

This school is just confusing. Why is it so big? Why are there so many students? Why are there so many teachers? This all just seems pointless. People tend to think I was held back, but I swear, I'm just tall. Like, really tall. 6'1", to be exact. So, people either think I was held back, or that I'm part of the staff. Mostly the 1st option, because staff don't normally carry backpacks. My locker is near the front entrance of the school, next to some yellow kid's locker. She wasn't staring at me, but I knew she wanted to. She glanced at me every two minutes. I didn't really care; I'm used to that kind of stuff. In homeroom, I saw someone who looked like the yellow girl. The other kid had darker hair and looked like she had more makeup on or something. I kept looked from one to the other, and the brown haired one said "Cousins," to me. I gave her a small nod to show that I understood. A boy with a green jacket leaned over and started talking to her, and I went back to organizing my desk.

Zack (1st person)

School was ok today. I think it was normal for a first day, at least. This was pretty much what I expected. 7 periods, lots of teachers, and a heck of a lot of students. Maybe I'm just an introvert, but I feel like 600 students is excessive for a school with 3 grades. There's this tall guy who kept staring at Smiley's cousin, Joy. At least I think her name is Joy. I would've guessed that they were siblings, rather than relatives. It's pretty obvious that Joy was the popular girl that everyone is into this year. There's always at least one student like that. Usually, a male and a female. I don't see a male to make the celebrity couple yet. Me, Phred, Smiley and Zack all have a lot of classes together. In homeroom, I saw Smiley say "Cousins," to tall guy. Smiley seemed annoyed when he kept looking from her to Joy. I'm assuming people get curious a lot. All of my teachers are ok, and my schedule is pretty normal.

Joy (1st person)

I can't believe the school year is starting already! I defiantly prefer summer more. Pool parties, get togethers, going to the Hamptons, all the normal things. I'm clearly the most popular and beautiful student at this lame school. This tall kid kept staring at me in homeroom, and, as usual, Smiley had to tell him we were cousins. I think the tall kid's name is Peter or Paul or something. He, like every other guy who sees me, has a crush on me. Why else would he be looking at me like that? Smiley already agreed last year to 'help' me with my homework last year. I think she forgot, but I'll remind her tomorrow. By 'help', I clearly meant 'do it for me'. She likes dumb things like homework, and I don't, so it's a win-win.

3rd person overview

Phred, Zack, Smiley and Phil all walked together, as usual. Pico took the bus, as usual. Riddle Middle school had a large campus and 600 students. They all had biology together, and most other classes with at least one person they knew. Smiley was nervous yet exited to start the school year. Phil was reluctant. Phred was, well, bored. Zack was willing to, but not exited. Pico was anxious. Joy thought that the school was 'lame'. They all had different opinions of the school, students, teachers and class work.

(okay so like everyone always reads this chapter and nothing else but this is the first one and I assure you it gets better so please read a bit longer ;w;)