Chapter 4: Exhaustion

Smiley (1st person)

I was rummaging in my backpack, looking for some worksheets, when I saw Joy's assignment. I hadn't even started on that yet. When was that due? I have no idea. I don't even care, to be honest. I looked at the time. 8:15. I should probably be heading to school. Pico's been walking with us lately. It's nice having have someone new around. I walked to school with my friends, as usual. When we got to school, I went to my locker to get my stuff, and Joy walked up to me. Again. "So... Are you almost done with that science thing yet? It's due tomorrow." She said. "Tomorrow? Like, two days ago you said it was due in a week!" I said. She shrugged. "So, are you done?" She asked again. Since I hadn't even started, I figured lying was the easiest option. "Yeah, I just have to add the concluding paragraph," I lied. "Ok, let me see it," She said. I had no idea what to say next, so I just made up an excuse. "I didn't bring it with me," I said. She rolled her eyes and walked away. Great. Now I have tons more homework to do.

(Time skip to school the next day)

Joy (1st person)

I went up to Smiley's locker again and asked for my project. She handed me a neat looking typed paper and a poster board. I looked it over. It looked like it took a long time. "Ok, this will do," I said. When Smiley didn't respond, I looked up at her face. She had dark circles under her eyes, and she was leaning half-awake against her locker. My guess is that she forgot about it and had to do it all yesterday. The bell rang for 1st period, and Smiley jumped. She rummaged through her locker, grabbed a book, and rushed to class. I went to my own class and presented 'my' project. I knew Smiley must've done a good job, because when I was done, everyone clapped. The teacher was taking notes the whole time. When the bell rang for my next class, the teacher asked me to stay. "Yes?" I asked. "This looks almost identical to how Smiley writes her papers," he said. "Well, were cousins, so-" he cut me off. "Did you make this?" he asked. "Well yeah, of course I did," I said. He dismissed me out of the room. The teacher seemed suspicious, but I don't think he caught on yet.

Phil (1st person)

I'm not sure what happened, but Smiley looked exhausted this morning. At lunch, I said "Hey Smiley, are you ok?". Smiley didn't respond. "Smiley?" I asked. She was laying with her head down on the cafeteria table. I don't think she was awake. I nudged her gently and she sat up, looking startled. "Wha...?" she said. I think she must've realized what happened because she looked super embarrassed. "Smiley, are you ok?" I asked again. "Oh yeah, I just didn't sleep well last night," she said. I can't be sure, but I think she's lying again. "Is that really what happened?" I asked. It didn't matter that I said that because she was asleep again anyway. I'll just wake her up when the bell rings...

Pico (1st person)

Smiley's obviously tired, but I don't think it's because she didn't sleep well. On our walk home, I kept walking with her, even though my house was the closest to the school. I kept walking until me and Smiley were the only ones left. "Isn't your house the 1st one on the street?" She asked. "Yeah," I responded. She looked at me like I was insane. "So what's going on with you? You haven't been yourself," I said. She looked hesitant, but eventually she said, "I stayed up all night working on Joy's assignment,". I didn't know what to say or do, but whatever happened had to wait until tomorrow. I put my arm around Smiley as we walked closer to her house. When we arrived, she walked up to her house without saying anything to me. About halfway to her door, she stopped. She turned, ran full speed towards me, then threw her arms around me. I smiled and hugged her back.

Phred (1st person)

Smiley seems better, but now Phil looks depressed. How come one of my friends is always sad? Phil's probably my closest friend, so I decided to ask him why he's sad in private. I noticed that Phil responded bluntly to anything Smiley said, and he just won't talk to Pico at all. I'm assuming Pico did something with Smiley. It's pretty obvious that Phil likes Smiley, he just won't admit it. I can't say for sure if Pico likes Smiley or vice versa. After school, I pulled Phil aside to talk. "Did something happen with Pico and Smiley?" I asked. I figured I might as well see if Phil can confirm my suspicion. "Yeah...I guess it's not a big deal, but Smiley told Pico what happened and why she was so tired," he said. "That's it? Really? You shouldn't be worried about that," I said. I guess it's kind of rough if your crush won't tell you something, then they tell someone else, but I don't think it's the end of the world. He didn't reply. "I feel like you're leaving out an important detail," I said. He sighed. "Ok, I'll tell you. Just don't tell anyone else..."

Zack (1st person)

I'm not sure where Phred and Phil are, but Pico and Smiley keep looking at each other. "What's been going on between you two?" I asked. "Nothing!" They both said in unison. "How dumb do you think I am? Something happened between you guys and now Phil's acting all weird." I said. They explained everything that happened when they were walking together. "If I were you, I'd apologize to Phil as soon as possible," I suggested. "Yeah, you're right..." Smiley said. "Do you think he really thought we were...you know..." Pico asked. "Probably, I mean, I would've thought so too," I said. Then Phil and Phred caught up with us. "Sorry if me and Pico made you feel weird, I should've told you what happened with the homework, but I didn't want you to have to worry about..." Smiley was interrupted by Phil hugging her. Phred looked relieved that Phil was somewhat himself again. Pico looked like he didn't know how to feel. I just hope everything goes back to normal.