Chapter One: Bitter Cold

(7:46 AM)

Snow falls like that of fiery ash, laying over the land in a harsh blanket of snow, the very height of it reached a staggering three feet, and just within the few remaining hours of the night.

Yet the hustle and bustle of the village continued rampant, their kindly chatter amongst each other a reminder of just how active this small place was.

You look out to your window, rubbing your eye in silent contemplation of going back to slumber.

Today was to be like any other, a tedious tangle of chores, errands - and a private meeting with the Head Mistress Baciu; the current leader of the Maiden Academy.

It was quite the sophisticated academy that only the finest were allowed; you of which, worked there until inevitably hired by one that could afford you and your services.

And until then, the sputter of Old Joe's tractor engine would keep you awake through your years here.

With a sigh and the sudden chill of the air, you pull the blankets from your body.

Fixing your hair from its nightcap, you stand in front of the vanity of which carried your clothes for the day.

Customary apparel of a long-sleeved shirt, a skirt that reached just below your calves, and strappings of leather ties and a hairpiece.

It was a usual routine, one uneventful as you pull the shirt over your head and adjust the collar of your shirt, doing the two white buttons at your arms, and ensuring the skirt is just right at your calves.

Your hair, having been covered the night before, doesn't take too much effort to ready it, ensuring the stray hairs are properly brushed down, and the headband is placed just at the crown on your head.

You were next expected to brush your teeth and washing your face, but that's a needless description.

And so, here your day begins as you leave your quarters, heels clicking against cobbled floors as you pass by the fellow maidens, bidding them a good morning on your way through to the main hall.

A bell chimes thrice, signaling breakfast for the morning, yet you wouldn't be eating; Usually, it would be packed and greatly unorganized, and you weren't one for crowds.

So, before your day, officially began, you make your journey out and into the village, choosing to take a stop through to the marketplace for a snack to keep you settled until lunch.

Chores began at 10 Am sharp, and are expected to be done by noon, so you had two hours to pass until then. Why not enjoy it while it lasts?

Passing through the front doors, you grasp a cloak hanging on the rack, one of black sheep's hide to keep you warm on your journey.

(8:03 AM)

Fixing the hood over your head, you make your exit, pushing past wooden doors and out into the bitter cold.

The sun shines, yet it does nothing against the gathering snow keeping the air brisk and cold, your breath coming out in a fog.

"Good morning Ms. Lumiñita!" Yells Old Joe, passing by on his tractor, waving kindly to you in greeting.

You raise your hand, buttoning the cloak with the other.

"Good morning Mr. Elcu!" You return, maneuvering your way through the snowy terrain to the front gates.

"Out for a customary walk, or does Headmistress Baciu have you on chores?"

You shake your head. "A walk; chores are in a few hours, so I have time to kill."