Chapter Thirteen: Humanity

You awoke groggy, your eyes unable to focus on anything further than five feet away. Your muscles were weak and strained, it felt as if you hadn't ingested in days and your body had begun to eat at itself.

The mere act of sitting up took everything in you, you knew standing would merit a collapse.

You were aware that Alcina had drank from you, but after the third minute, your vision was fuzzy, and by the fourth, you had lost hearing. The sensation felt as if the very life was being drained from you, and you didn't have the strength to stop it.

You exhaled too rapidly, and your lungs began to burn. You cough to rid yourself of the feeling, which works but provokes a hacking fit. Your hand flings to cover your mouth, and splatters of blood follow the violent burst of air and spit.

It lasts but a few seconds, and by the end of it, you feel cold and light-headed.

The door clicks open, followed by a gust of warm wind, and the chirps of insects.

"Are you okay?" It takes a few moments to register but you could make out the voice of Daniela. "You look dead..."

You shake your head, of course, she would be the one to say it.

"Bela is getting some food for you, do you need me to get you anything?...maybe some clothes?"

Realization hits you. You were still naked.

Moving too fast for your state, you grasp the blanket and cover yourself.

"Clothes it is! I'll be right back, don't move."

She vanished in a burst of flies, leaving you alone with your thoughts.

You attempt to remember the events of...was it yesterday afternoon? Did you sleep throughout the rest of the day and night?

Glancing out the window, the sun was low, gleaming down to cast a shadow on the objects near. It was an early sunrise, so it just proved you did sleep that long, and not a single moment did you wake through the night.

You wonder just how much she drank from you, and compare it to your current condition. Extreme fatigue, sore muscles, poor vision, hunger, and an inconsistent headache. She took more than she needed for just a "simple" taste. She fed from you to sate herself regardless of your well-being.

You felt frustrated and enraged?...

She had you in such a vulnerable position and took advantage of it. You saw how she reacted to the kitchen staff, over something as stupid as tea! It's no wonder maidens vanish here, she is such a spoiled piece of–

– "I wasn't sure what you like so I stole some of Cassandra and Bela's clothes..."

Daniela comes through the cracks of the wall, a handful of dark clothing draped over her arms.

Daniela helped you get dressed in the darkest attire you've worn in your life. It was oversized, meant for someone an entire foot taller. But you didn't have to worry about being on your feet anytime soon, you would be down for a bit, so Loisel and some lower maidens would take part in chores.

No word was mentioned of Lady Dimitrescu, and you'd rather keep it that way.

Daniela sits next to you, awkward and stiff.

"So uh, she didn't kill you..."

You make a face, glancing at her in confusion.

"Was that what it was? She was supposed to kill me?"

Daniela sighs, choosing whether or not to answer. She looks lost, biting her lower lip and peeling the skin from it.

"If you can't tell me, that's okay, I just would feel better if I understood my point in being here."

Glancing around, Daniela wasn't one to keep things private, and it didn't help her that she bonded with you.

"Usually, if the maiden fails her first test –" She began, though you promptly interrupted.

–"What's the first test?"

"First the daughters, second the labors, followed by the tasting."

You shake your head.

"So, if you three didn't like me, I didn't do my duties correctly, then at the tasting, I would have died?"

"Yeah, but on the bright side, you passed everything! So...yay?" she shrugs, arms up in a half cheer.

You couldn't be upset with her. These were not her rules, she simply obeyed them, and it was all she knew.

You felt some solace in the idea of you passing three tests you had no idea existed. Bonding with the Dimitrescu daughters, doing said chores correctly, and appeasing the Lady...you were sure no one did the same.

Yet, even though you passed the tests, she still almost killed you. You had a right to live, and yet power hungry as the Lady was, she seemed to retain some amount of humanity, but only in small bursts. Last night, was not one of them...