Chapter Five: Eyes of Curiosty

It was not long until Daniela had you dragged to a space within the castle's many chambers, a joyous skip to her step that could lift the spirit of any who approached.

She made sure to hold your hand, guiding you in what she called a miniature tour of the castle; pleased to finally have someone as eager as her to see it for the glory it stood to be.

"Just across the courtyard there is my moth— Lady Dimitrescu's chambers, only the most honored maidens are allowed near that wing!" She presents happily as she passes by a window, pointing eagerly to the statue in the middle. "And there, that is her finest work, it presents to be a solid object, yet it is an elevator to the depths of this castle."

You give it a double glance, marveling at the craftsmanship that would go into such a piece - not to mention the coin.

Daniela gives you a shove with her shoulder - pushing you a fair way sideways - eyeing you with a smile.

"If you didn't catch my hint, you will be the one to cross that courtyard on the daily — with an escort, of course."

You eye the statues, squinting to see the layout of such peculiar placement.

Four women stood in place, one taller than the rest as she holds the closest one to her chest, the smaller figure succumbing to such a grasp while the other two stabs a blade and spear through the feminine figure laid back against the marbled stand, helpless to the death that would soon succumb her.

It was an oddly poetic tragedy, a piece of reason that gave way to a story untold.

You couldn't help but lean close to the window, curiously peering to get a fairer glance.

It was when you fail to notice Daniela pause, looking to you, and then to the window — she moves beside you, leaning in near your ear in a faint whisper.

"Are you okay, dear?"

Breaking from the distraction, you turn your gaze to Daniela, who remains but a few inches from you.

You hold your breath, suddenly nervous, however, Daniela grins wide.

Once more, her carefree energy takes hold of your nervous heart, filling you with a sense of childlike enjoyment.

She was carefree, fearless, and open to you, unlike her sister whomst you presumed was the eldest.

"Let's go, we're almost there!"

She continues forward, her heels clicking against the marbled floor as she begins to hum a melody unmistakably that of 'Danse Macabre'

a fitting tune for such a place, you thought.

With one, final glance, you follow Daniela, allowing her to lead you, unbeknownst of the threatening glare just beyond the courtyard window.

°°°°

The lady of the castle, a figure of power unlike any walking mortal could comprehend. She gazes forth, an eye of blazing fire and heart of bitter hatred, she despised many, and killed those who wandered far too boldly in her path — it was foolish to make much of any notice to yourself, and you just so happened to do it all in seconds.

You made the unintentional effort to follow the youngest of her daughters, and not only get along with her, but, to peer, so curiously beyond your understanding — for curiosity could get you too far herein Castle Dimitrescu, and that simply would not do.

The lady concentrates on you, for her vision may not be great from afar, you were a sight to behold,  however, she could tell you would be an interesting character, far more than she initially presumed.

Such enchantment in those eyes, she could tell simply by the way you froze when you came across her statues. A part of her wished to see such dazzling looks closer, yet, she would have to remain patient, especially when her youngest took such a fondness to you, Alcina knew she would not have you until late afternoon.

Once again does the smell of marijuana fill the room in a puff of smoke, exhaled by no other than the lady herself. The burning of her throat was a familiar, yet, comfortable feeling, the promise of a high that would accompany her through the day, and allow her a peaceful night.

Her gaze bore upward, to the clouds that hung in the sky and to the fallen flakes of winter's solace that graced her property.

Alcina was not too fond of winter, the thunderous nights of snow tapping against her balcony window, to the draft that seemed to travel over the halls of the castle she couldn't bear the bitter nights, - not to mention, the underlying threat it served to her family.

It was times like these when she felt the tug of worry dwelled in her chest at night, a sensation in her gut whenever she laid her head to rest — concern for her daughters, and their well-being was the forefront, anything else she wouldn't take too much care for, but for family, it was everything, even if it meant losing sleep over it.

It is the very reason she didn't trust her daughters to befriend a human. This is why Alcina is wary of her youngest taking a liking to you so early on.

Daniela was a foolish, imaginative woman, and within such a mind, came a hazardous vulnerability.

It is why Alcina called for her second eldest daughter to watch over Daniela, however, by the looks of it, that went awry.

Alcina murmurs beneath her breath, a curse to her daughter's insolence.

This is not playing out how she wanted, however, it would give her an insight into your mindset, and for that? She didn't mind too much.