Twenty Two

"— ewan ko sayo! Tigilan mo ko!" I woke up to Amaris' angry voice. I frowned and stood up in an attempt to approach her from my bedroom. I was about to reach the stairs when I heard her walking to the kitchen.

I heard water being poured out and contemplated whether to continue coming to console her.

"Look! The bottom line here is you damn cheated on me!" Amaris yelled again and slammed her phone onto the sink. I was afraid it would break.

I barely see her this way. Fuming mad. Suddenly, I heard her sobs and my heart breaks for her.

I remembered how I caught her in a passionate embrace with Jacob a few years ago. For a moment, I felt betrayed but seeing her now, my heart goes out for her.

My thoughts were distracted when I saw Amira in the door of her room beside mine. Her forehead was creased and I knew she is curious as well. She nodded at me and I knew she'll be the one to approach Amaris this time.

I watched Amira walked downstairs and hugged Amaris who wept for a love lost and I sighed.

"Hush, sis." Amira consoled her with  her soothing voice. "Let it out. We're just here for you."

Amaris sniffed and cried again. I could see from upstairs how she poured her heart out at Amira. I could hear pain in her words.

"Three fuckin' years! B-bwisit sya! May lumandi lang sa kanya, bumigay na ang hayop!" Amaris said in a hoarse voice. Disappointment and rage are still evident. "Karmahin sana sya!"

"Hayaan mo sya, sis! Hindi sya kawalan!" Amira agreed and Amaris' sobs subsided. "Marami pa dyang iba. Hindi lang sya ang lalaki sa mundo."

I sighed. Amira is right. We shouldn't rely on someone who's bound to ruin us in the end. We should learn to stand on our own feet.

"Bumaba ka na dyan, Amara." I heard Amaris said and I swallowed before I slowly walked downstairs. When I reached the kitchen, she said in a small smile, "alam ko naririnig mo na ako kanina."

I gave her a sheepish smile. I opened my arms and Amaris ran to me and hugged me.

"You will be okay, sis." I said caressing her back as my shoulders began to get wet. I know she has started crying again. "Andito lang kami ni Amira. Hindi ka namin pababayaan. Lalaki lang yan!"

Amaris pulled out from our embrace and sniffed. She wiped her tears with the back of her hands and smiled snidely at me.

"You don't need to investigate on me, Mara." Amaris said making my eyes wide with her words. "Hindi si Jacob ang boy- err, ex-jowa‐ ko. I know and I have felt your presence a few years ago when he came here in the middle of the night. They may look alike but no, it's not Jacob. It's his older brother, Jerome. "

Both Amira and me gasped at her revelation. Amaris nodded and sighed before she added, "I met Jerome when you and Jacob began going out. We had some drinks and started to date too. And, the rest is history. The next thing I know, he has became a jerk. And I am free!"

Still shocked at her confession, I became speechless. It was Amira who commented in disbelief.

"So, all along, we thought you're betraying Amara by cheating with him. Oh my gosh." Amira said shaking her head. "This is unbelievable."

"I would never betray any of you." Amaris said and let out a deep breath. "Mukha lang ako maharot pero mahal ko kayo. I would never do anything that will ruin any of your trusts. You are my only family."

"Oh. Uh. I don't know what to say." I said and looked at Amaris' eyes.

"There is still hope for a second chance at love, Amara. " Amira said after a long pause. "I realized I have been so immature when I ordered you to stop dating him because I was so used to in my comfort zone at mas inintindi ko pa ang sasabihin ng  iba kesa sa nararamdaman mo. Mali ang pinigilan kita sa anumang gusto mo. I want you to be happy. And kung sya ang makakapagpasaya sayo, sino ako para hadlangan ka?" She turned to me and smiled.

My eyes brimmed with tears. I have longed been waiting for my sisters' blessings to finally be happy. And hearing it from them right now, is just too blissful to just ignore this feeling.

"You deserve to be happy, sis. Sorry to hold you in." Amira added looking  into my eyes.

Suddenly, we found ourselves hugging and crying like fools.

"Momma. Bakit po kayo umiiyak?" We broke from our embrace when we heard Dwight's voice from behind.

Giggling, we wiped our tears and smiled at each other.

"Nagugutom na ba ang baby na yan?" Amira said in a cheerful voice.

Dwight nodded and he gave us his toothy smile.

"Ni-aaway nyo si Momma!" Dwight frowned and Amaris laughed.

"No, baby! May kumagat lang na langgam malapit sa eyes ni Momma. Lika na, kain tayo." Amira said winking at us.

I immediately pulled out the plates as we began our breakfast.

Suddenly, things are looking bright.