Chapter 18

My doorbell rings and I rush to open it. Harry and Leilani are outside, Leilani is practically bouncing in her spot from excitement. I must admit I'm pretty excited as well that she'll spend the night. I've prepared snacks, and the nacho cheese, and hot dogs, and even made a small charcuterie board. I bought more apple juice and CapriSuns, cookies, and chips. I want Leilani to have a great time tonight.

"AVA, HI!" Leilani yells, running to me and hugging my legs tightly.

I love how she's always excited to see me, even though I see her pretty much every day. "Hi, Leilani!" I greet her with the same enthusiasm, picking her up. She's brought her Little Mermaid backpack and Harry is holding another backpack of hers. "Hi, Harry," I smile at him and he smiles back, dimples on display.

"Ava," he nods. "Are you sure you don't mind?"

I take the backpack from his hand and shake my head. "Of course not, Harry. I have everything ready for our girls' night."

"Ava, I brought two colouring books, markers, colour pencils, glitter glue, two teddy bears, and two blankets." Leilani lifts one finger with each word she says, counting with her little hands. Her long curls are tied up in a ponytail and her cheeks are flushed from the heat outside.

"That is awesome, honey! We're going to have so much fun!" I tickle her sides and she laughs, kicking her feet.

I set her down and she hugs Harry, then runs inside the house yelling "bye, daddy!" We laugh as Leilani disappears inside my house.

"She barely slept last night because she was so excited to spend the night with you," Harry tells me and I swear my heart could burst.

"Same here," I confess. "I know I see her almost every day but she's never stayed and I just always have an amazing time with her. She's brought a lot of happiness into my life." I look down at my shoes as I say this. "I'm sorry if that's weird to say," I shrug, meeting his eyes shyly.

He shakes his head. "It's not weird, I know how much you love her. I can tell you love her just as much as I do." I smile at him, nodding and rubbing my palms together. Harry looks at his watch and his brows shoot up. "I should get going. Erm... I'll pick her up early, like at seven, is that okay?"

"You can pick her up later in the day if you want, enjoy your night, Harry. And your morning, too." I wiggle my brows at him, laughing. He chuckles, covering his eyes with his palm for a second, cheeks turning pink.

"I'm leaving," he laughs, pushing me gently then pulling me into a hug. "Let me know if anything happens or if you need anything, okay?" I nod against his chest, inhaling his strong cologne. "Thank you, Ava. I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow, Harry." We let go of each other and Harry peeks his head inside the house.

"Leilani, baby, I'm leaving now. Be good to Ava and behave, alright?" Leilani comes running to the door and kisses Harry on the cheek.

"I will, daddy! Leave now, Ava and I are busy."

Harry squeezes her cheeks, kissing her forehead. "I'll pick you up tomorrow, darling. I love you with all my heart. Be good."

Leilani nods and runs back to the living room. Harry gives me another hug and plants a gentle kiss on my temple, almost causing my lungs to collapse.

"Bye, Ava. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye, Harry. Enjoy your date. Drive safely," I say, smiling at him and watching as he walks to his car and drives away.

I go back inside the house, locking the front door behind me. Leilani has already emptied her backpack on the coffee table and is now coloring. She placed one of her coloring books right next to her for me to sit with her. She looks up and beams at me, patting the spot beside her. "Sit with me and colour, Ava! I brought markers," she lifts three markers so I can see. "And colour pencils!"