Chapter 3

After what seemed ten seconds and ten hours at the same time, Jennifer broke the kiss.

"I think I need to go to bed now". Jake got up, and helped Jennifer do the same. He walked her to her bedroom.

"Jake, can you give me a little help? It's so hard to take off the leg brace not forcing my neck".

He smiled. Not that mischievous sexy grin she loved so much, but a gentle and kind and pure smile.

"yeah, I can do that. but first I think you have to brush your teeth and everything else".

She walked to her little private bathroom, holding on to Jake for support as she walked without crutches.

He waited for her to get out of the bathroom, looking around her room.

When Jennifer closed the bathroom door, he was looking at her bookshelves. She was now in a baggy shirt and he noticed she was not wearing a bra. How could he not notice that?

"do you like Stephen King?", Jake asked trying to avoid staring at her. He was standing in front of dozens of Stephen King's books.

"no, I LOVE him. I think I've read each one of his books twice, if not more", she replied chuckling and he laughed.

"what do you need me to do?", Jake asked coming closer.

Jennifer took off her collar. "just take that off and put it on the chair", she said pointing first at her brace leg, and then at the chair beside her bed.

And he did as she said, removing it from her leg.

"I need to change my pants", she then said.

And now that mischievous grin took place on Jake's lips. "do you need help with that too?"

She slapped his arm. "just turn around for a moment". He did and she got changed. When Jake turned again to face her, she was sitting on her bed, baggy shirt and short sweatpants. He sat down next to her, bringing his hand to her bare thigh.

"do they hurt? Your leg and neck, I mean", Jake asked drawing circles with his thumb on her skin.

"sometimes, but not that much. Especially my neck".

Jake turned around and put his hand at the base of her neck, fingers gently touching her skin. Then he leaned in and replaced his hand with his lips.

"Jake..."

He didn't stop, but went further, kissing down her collar bone.

"Jake, really. I'm tensing up and my neck hurts a bit". He then stopped and looked at her. "sorry, I can be more careful".

"no, it's not you. it's my response to your touch. I don't think this is a good idea. I don't think everything that happened was a good idea. I made a mistake, nothing should have happened. I was a bit drunk and tired and sad.."

"do you regret what happened?"

"I don't know. Maybe. We are different, Jake. I just don't think something could happen".

They sat there in silence for a while, then Jake spoke.

"well, I don't regret anything at all". He stood up, only to lean again to her, kissing her lips.

She didn't expect that. Jennifer blushed but she didn't push him away.

Jake then stepped back. "goodnight". And he left her alone, walking out of the door to his bedroom.

***

Josh, Danny and Sam were still awake, each of them lying on their bed.

"well Jake, it was about time you came to bed", Sam said grinning at him. "how is she?"