Chapter 21: Happiness

Third person omniscient POV

The sounds of laughter and and joy radiated from the other room, reaching the small living area with perfect aim.

Something about those chimes shook Rob's mind; he just couldn't process them. They sounded so different, so unique.

"So I'm assuming you're not done pondering about how Reese and Kristen met, are you?" Sam groaned slightly, tossing a kitchen rag Rob's my face.

Rob flinched at the impact, softly taking the cloth off his face. "Yeah, I guess not."

Sam audibly sighed, tapping at the walls. "Well do it later. I was only expecting three people to be at this dinner, so we need to make more food."

"Sorry." The dad sat up, dashing over to the kitchen and grabbing a spatula. "I should have texted you before hand. But in my defense it all happened so fast I wasn't sure of what to do."

Sam quickly nodded in understanding and pushed Rob to the stove. "Apology accepted. Now finish frying these carrots and let me take a shower." He lifted his arm up, shoving rob's nose into his armpit.

He cackled while Rob struggled to be free from his joking hold, flipping him off when he did so.

His attention was immediately directed back at the food, the sizzle of the veggies calming him down. More beams of giggles escaped from Reese's room, almost allowing him to crack a smile as well.

He never knew that Reese could laugh like that, and he wasn't protesting against it. It felt as if kristen unlocked a new side of Reese; a side that hasn't been able to shine in a long time.

Rob gave the array of carrots and broccoli one more toss before flicking the stove off and washing his hands. He figured that the food needed to cool, so he sauntered over to the very room that happiness was radiating.

He knocked on the door to be polite, but almost fell over when someone opened it when he was about to enter.

"Hi daddy." Reese pulled him over to a tiny table, allowing him to get a good glance of what exactly was happening.

"You look interesting." Rob held back chuckles as best as he could, covering his mouth in the process.

Kristen was covered in stickers, play makeup, and hair bows. She was also sporting a pink tutu with dozens of little child dress up accessories.

"I do look very fashionable I must say. Don't I, Reese?" Kristen flaunted her outfit, giving the daddy-daughter pair a twirl.

Reese clapped, "You do! Daddy just doesn't understand fashion!" She stomped and huffed, earning a half-smile from Rob.

"Sorry, I guess I don't." He picked up Reese, grinning when she placed a prince crown on top of his head.

"It's ok. Wanna play?" She dug through a chest of dress-up clothes, picking out a cape for Rob and a sword.

"You're the prince, and you got to save Kristen, the princess." She jumped in excitement, handing her dad all of the props.

Rob looked over at Kristen, Kristen doing the same. They shared the same expression, both shrugging their shoulders and getting into their characters.

"Oh, how I wish some dazzling prince would come save me from my castle prison!" Kristen swooned, laying over the tiny couch in the corner.

Rob ran in, pretending to search the area. "I smell a castle nearby, and a princess that needs saving!" He shouted, hearing the cute laughter from Reese.