Chapter 2: Talk

Third POV

Patter patter......

Tiny bare feet ran across the apartment floor, giggles following after.

"I'm gonna get you!" Sam shouted, chasing after the tiny girl.

She screamed when she felt a pair of arms wrap around her, lifting her up from the ground.

"Sammy!" She laughed as hands tickled her.

Sam smiled; hearing Reese's laughter made him happy, and it helps reassure him that she isn't sad. In the beginning, little Reese couldn't accept the fact that her dad had to go to work everyday, but soon maturity sprouted within her. When her mom left without her knowing why, she became more reserved and patient. In a way, she had to raise herself without a motherly figure in the house.

"Are you hungry?" Sam asked, placing the tiny girl on his lap.

Reese tucked some of her hair behind her ear, silently thinking.

"Mhm." She hummed, nodding her head. Sam nodded back, getting up to cook up something for her.

He walked over to the tiny kitchen, which wasn't that long of a walk considering how tiny the space was. He opened the fridge, which held just enough food for two people to live off of.

He dug through the drawers and found some veggies. Maybe he could make some rice as well, if there was any. By now, after a year of staying with Reese, he knows her likes and dislikes. The little girl loves carrots and broccoli, but can't stand bell peppers and mushrooms; just like her dad.

A little head popped up besides him, a full blonde forest.

"Can I help?" Reese jumped up and down, puppy dog eyes plastered on her face. They were so blue, and they really reminded Sam of her parents.

"Sure." He softly said. Reaching over to grab a stool. Reese isn't quite tall enough yet to see over the kitchen counter, so a stool is needed.

"You can cut the broccoli into tiny pieces." Sam explained, not going into detail because he knew that the little girl understood what he meant.

She reached into the utensil drawer, pulling out a butter knife. She knows that bigger knives are dangerous, so she stays away from those.

She put on her focus face, tongue sticking out slightly. She slowly sliced into the bushels of green, placing them to the side when she was done.

Sam stared at her fondly; in a way, he feels like her second dad. He's seen her grow so much this past year, but he knows that she isn't ready to hear about her mom.

There's still photos of her all around the apartment, mostly stashed in Robert's room. After she left, Rob fell into complete depression. He gathered every one of her belongings and stuffed them into his closet, promising himself that he'll never open those doors again. Even simply thinking about her gives him such an unbearable pain.

There was one particular photo however, and it's framed, sitting on the dining table in the kitchen. It was a photo of all of them, but Reese was too young to remember. Reese was only barely one year old when she passed.

The little girl can recall the way her mom whispered bedtime stories to her at night and the way her warmth engulfed her. But one thing that the little girl can always hear is the way her mom said "I love you". It was the last thing she heard before she magically disappeared one day.

"Ok, thank you Reesy. Go play." Sam spoke, gently stroking the tiny girl's hair. Reese nodded, hopping off the stool. She skipped over to her tiny room, pulling out her box of colored pencils. She desperately needs new ones, but she doesn't want to ask and burden her dad. She just figures that red, blue, and green will do.