Time Is Up

Cecil paced nervously around the dog park... any minute now he would be asked what his decision was... and he still had no idea what he was going to say. The hooded figures suddenly stood up and glided towards Cecil. "What is your decision?" Asked the figures in unison. Before Cecil knew what he was going to choose he heard his own voice say "I choose the task... what am I supposed to do?" Yet again Cecil lost control of his limbs and fell to the ground...this time he was fast asleep before he hit the cold earth.

When Cecil woke up he felt his head where a cartoonishly large bump had appeared. His eyes finally focused on a large neon sign that read 'Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Center'. Struggling to his feet, he noticed an envelope stapled to a large, black bag. He opened the envelope and after skimming it he shoved it into his pocket. The note told him he must contact the city below lane 5 and ask what they wanted. Dreading what the note had said he unzipped the bag.  Inside was a notebook,  pens, water,  and dried meat.  There was also a sleeping bag and a large winter coat.  He realized that all of these objects would prove to be very useful while he ventured into the unknown.

Before he could change his mind, Cecil moved the 'danger' sign that covered the huge, gaping hole that led downward and looked into the abyss. From where he stood he could see a very blurry town with huge skyscrapers on a ledge (only a few hundred yards below Cecil). The wall was speckled with large ledges (like the one the town rested on) and had small holes that covered the rock walls.

Cecil hoisted the pack onto his shoulders and lowered himself onto the first edge. To distract himself, Cecil thought about what Carlos would think when he died... wait no that's not right... when he returned triumphantly into Night Vale! This fantasy kept Cecil occupied so he didn't think about the scrapes and bruises he was collecting as he went further and further into the hole.