TWENTY ONE

Update 21
Word count: 1341

"Mukti, here." I offered her a soft drink that she denied.
"I need to speak to you Manik." She said with a straight face.
After our dance, the elders took over the stage and they performed, gave speeches and blessed Navya and Cabir.
We sat in the bar counter and relaxed ourselves.

Mukti hadn't changed a bit. She had grown a little skinny. Abhi was the same. He had this grumpy look, owing to the situation. But he didn't speak with Nandini too that amazed me. Dhruv was normal. He mingled quickly and stood with Cabir all that time. Alya didn't speak much. She was quite and calm. Just opposite to her nature.

"Will you start or shall we waste more time?" I asked finally, getting irritated.
"If you talk to her in that tone, I swear I'll break you jaw. Behave!" Abhimanyu stormed and Mukti held his hand, signalling him to calm down. I was taken aback by his reaction.
"Calm down Abhi-"
"Mr.Murthy, call me that." He said with a poker face.

"Mr.Murthy, may I speak to Mrs.Murthy, who happens to be my friend?" I asked sarcastically.
"Manik! Bhai come here." Smaran pulled me on to the dance floor.
"Here's my brother and my, oye Nandini!" He called her name loudly.

"Okay, so here's my bhai and my sister, singing for us! Give them a big round of applause!" He shouted and we looked at each other amazed.
"No Smaran, I don't sing." She said making me snap my head at her.
"But-"
"Nandini, I need to talk to you." Abhimanyu tried to build a conversation.

"You know what Smaran, I can. Please set up the mics." Nandini said, giving a cold shoulder to Abhi. I hadn't expected this. :o
She looked at me, waiting for my consent, and I nodded.

I hadn't sung for a long time. In fact for 6 years. Since we broke up, my interest in the field degraded. But Nandini wanted to build a career in music. It was her solace. I was shocked when she said she doesn't sing anymore. There was lot more things I needed to know.

The music started as Nandini looked at me.

Mann yeh saahib ji
Jaane hai sab ji
Phir bhi banaye bahaane
She sang locking her eyes with mine. Even today her voice soothes my soul. It's as if there's some magic in it.

Naina nawaabi ji
Dekhe hain sab ji
Phir bhi na samjhe ishaare
She sang closing her eyes and then looked at me. I smiled as she reciprocated it.

Mann yeh saahib ji
Haan karta bahaane
Naina nawaabi ji na
Samjhe ishaare
She sang looking at Cabir and Navya, then Smaran and Inaaya. The girls were leaning on their partners shoulders.

Dheere dheere
Nainon ko dheere dheere
Jiya ko dheere dheere
Bhaayo re saibo
I took the note and she sang with me. I could see Maa looking at me perplexed. She had insisted me so many times to sing but I had denied her. Baba looked at us with admiration.

Dheere dheere
Begaana dheere dheere
Apna sa dheere dheere
Laage re saibo
Uncle, aunty and the elders looked at me and Nandini actually creating magic on the stage. Dhruv and Alya were foolishly grinning at us whereas Mukti had a sad smile on her face. Abhimanyu was more dumbfounded.