Chapter Eleven

The first thing Pony did when he finished his essay was showing me and Soda. I told him I had never seen such good writing in all my life. "That's tuff, real tuff Ponyboy," Soda said tearing up.

Even Darry cried a little when he read it. "You did a mighty fine job Pony," He said lookin' proud. Soda came in whooping about having a party. "I'll invite the gang!" Soda said. "Me and Pony here will go get some stuff," Darry said patting Pony on the shoulder. I smiled at my brother's excitement and waited for the gang to show up as Darry and Pony left.

"Heya kiddo!" Two said spinning me around. "Hiya," I said laughing. Steve patted my head and went to get some chocolate cake. When Pony and Darry came back, Pony showed everyone his theme. Even old Stevo was impressed.

"That's real good Pony," Two said giving it back. "Well, I ought to give to credit to the little dolly here," Pony said grinning at me. I smiled a goofy grin back.

Darry gave me a side hug and said, "Well looks like we got two writers in the family," I blushed and looked back at my room.

I saw a glimpse of my ragdoll sitting on my bed and doggonit that doll made me remember the day when my Dad brought it into my room, tellin' me how Mom had made it just for me. Me and that doll had been through a lot together, The day Mom and Dad died, and the day our two best buds died as well. The memory of them all lived with that doll.

And I knew it lived with me too, even if I was just a greaser who lived on the west side of town, with hand-me-down clothing. That doll was full of love and emotion. And I would have to see where all of mine would take me someday.

"Hey, doll? Why don't you c'mere and help us eat this cake?" I heard Sodapop yell from the living room. I didn't even know I was in my bedroom. I traced my scar and then reached out to stroke my ragdoll. "Comin'!" I said running out of my bedroom. As I sat with my family, Pony looked over at me and said, "You sure are our little ragdoll," Everyone smiled at me and nodded. I felt my eyes wander over to the last words on Ponyboy's theme.

"Stay gold,"

And I knew I would.