Chapter Seven

I awoke to the sun peeking through my door. I had a difficult time sitting up, but I managed.

I went to the bathroom to put some soothing ointment on my shoulders and headed to the kitchen.

"Mornin' Pony," I said to Ponyboy as he was making eggs. "Morning," he replied.

I was finished eating a piece of chocolate cake, as I heard the screen door creak open. Steve and Two-bit came in quietly, which was suspicious, but Two-bit signaled for me to stay quiet as they both crept into the kitchen to surprise Pony.

"Hey, it's the hero!" Steve said as he and Two both tackled him into a hug, causing Pony's egg to go flying.

"Aw, look what you did!" Pony said. "This will cheer you up," Steve said plopping the paper on the table next to me. I examined it and saw Pony, Johnny, Dally, and my name in the paper, along with our pictures.

The title was "Juvenile Delinquents Turn Heroes" I read only a little about us, bein' heroes, for saving the kids from the fire when Pony picked it up. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Hey, it says after what happened we probably won't be split up," Pony read. "Wait...they were going to split us up?" I asked worriedly. "The Police said we have to go to court," Darry said. He must have just woken up.

I felt sick after that comment. "Don't worry, the paper states that the chances are low of us being split up," Darry said patting my head. "Hey Darry, have you seen my DX shirt?" Sodapop said coming out of the bathroom with a towel around his waist.

"Yeah, I ironed it, it should be hanging up," Darry responded. "Hey, I think there's a law about wearing pants too, buddy," Steve said holding a piece of cake in front of Soda.

"We're going to have a big party after that rumble with the socs," Steve said to Pony braggin'. Rumble? "Hey is Sandy going to be there?" I asked Soda. Soda's expression changed quickly to sorrow.

"She went to live with her grandmother in Florida," Soda said downheartedly. I felt bad, for askin'. I wondered what happened.

"Are you two sure you're going to be fine by yourselves today? I can call in sick," Darry said as he got ready to leave. "I can watch after them," Two said.

Steve and Soda left for the DX as Darry headed out the door for work as well.

"Whattaya say we visit Dal and Johnnycakes in the hospital?" Two-bit asked us. I looked at Pony and he nodded yes. As we walked down the highway, I saw the sickly blue mustang coming towards us. "Two-bit..." I said. "I'm gettin' outta here," Pony said turning to run. "Hold on, I don't think they're going to do anything," Two said.

The car rolled to a stop and Two said, "You know the rules, no foolin' around before a rumble,"

"I just want to talk to the kid," Randy said motioning towards Pony. Two seemed hesitant but Pony followed Randy towards his car and went in. Two glared at the other socs and started making fun of them. I grinned and tried an insult.

"Mirrors can't talk. You're lucky they can't laugh either," I said smirking. Two-bit burst out laughing and I couldn't help it either. "Man, even this kid can talk better trash than you," Two-bit said still laughing as the socs faces turned red. Boy, Two-bit was lucky they couldn't hit us.

Pony came back with Randy and looked more relaxed. "What'd he want?" Two-bit asked. "Just wanted to talk," Pony responded as we continued on our way. Pony later explained to me what Randy had told him about not being in the Rumble.

When we made it to the hospital, we went straight to Johnny's room. "Hiya pal," Two said. Johnny was turned over on his stomach with burns all over his back. There was a mirror below so he could see us. Hey Two, Pony, Cleo," he said weakly. "Look, you made it in the paper," Two said putting the newspaper below him.

"I wish I could finish that book," Johnny said after a moment of silence. Two looked at Pony questioningly. "He means Gone With The Wind, It's probably in the gift shop downstairs," Pony and Two-bit left to find it and I went up next to Johnny hesitantly.

Johnny started telling Ponyboy about how he had so much more to live for. "I don't wanna die, man, I've hardly lived yet," Johnny said, and the sick feeling returned. "Johnny?" I heard Ponyboy say. Then a nurse came in a told us to leave. "Give this to him," Two said handing her the book. "Johnny, your mother is here to see you." The nurse said

"I don't wanna see her," he responded. "Bu-" the nurse started. "I said I don't wanna see her!" He said taking a deep breath at the end.

"Let's go see Dally," Two said as we walked down the hall. We saw Johnny's mom arguing with a nurse. His mom then pointed at us and said something nasty. "No wonder he hates your guts," Two said to Johnny's mom.

I gave her a dirty look as I walked past.

We arrived at Dally's room to see him refusing treatment.
"C'mon man, I'm getting outta here tonight, give me your knife," Dally asks Two as he gives it to him.

We sat down at a bus stop, and I couldn't seem to get the image of Johnny's burns out of my head, and Two noticed my face. "You okay kiddo?" He asked putting his hand to my forehead.

"For now," I said taking a shaky breath as the bus pulled up.