Chapter 7

The ray of the sun penetrated through the window as the servants went up and down plowing the fields.

Princess Nevada of Portugal stood by her window watching the sight. Her heart was heavy and her mind troubled. She watched as the birds of the air flew towards her window. With a sad smile on her lips, she waved at them as they flew away happily. She watched them, wishing she could be just like the birds, free and willing to go wherever they want but instead she was trapped in her own home. She just turned 18, and have wished to go out of the palace even for a second but No!, they were just mere wishes that can never come to pass.

Her door flew open, looking back, she saw her mum who walked in alone. Queen Januaris smiled at her daughter who didn't return her smile but looked away back at her window.

"Nevada" her mother called out softly but still, she didn't look back.

"My child, I know this isn't what you want, but my hands are tied, you are leaving with the Prince of Piedmont, King of Italy today, it's all your father's doing, no one can question him, not even me," her mother said bitterly.

Nevada turned back to her with sadness and anger in her eyes, "But mother, I want to get married to someone I love, not just anyone, Mae, eu nao quero casar com ele! (Mother I don't want to marry him), I don't want that!" She yelled staring at her mum with sad eyes.

Walking towards her, her mother held her cheek as she gazes with an anguished heart "I love you so much my child, King Tommaso Giovanni will treat you with care, I believe that". She tried to sound true but her voice held the tension in it.

" But mother, you always taught me to follow my heart in anything I do, I do not wish for this, not now, not ever!" Nevada blurted out with agony in her heart.

Queen Januaris looked at her, "But we are women, we don't have the power to choose who we get married to, rules are being set for us and we must obey them. When I got married to your father, I was sad and cried that night I left my palace for him but as years go by, I grew to love him and he loved me with all his heart. I don't think King Tommaso is a bad man, I believe he will treat you like the princess you are" she smiled planting a kiss on her forehead.

Nevada sighed nodding, "Okay mother, but I will miss you, Italy is far away from here, I hope I see you someday" she whispered fighting the tears that welled up in her eyes.

Her mum hugged her caressing her back, "We will meet again but until you give birth to your first child, it only depends on that my child" she assured her.

A tear dropped down Nevada's left eye. Quickly, she cleaned it as her mum released her grip.

"Now come on, be cheerful, your husband will be here soon, I will send for the maids to come to dress you up as soon as I leave" saying this, her mum left closing the door behind her.

Nevada sat on her bed, she covered her face with her hands as she cried bitterly. This can't be happening, she has always planned to get married to the only man that makes her heartbeat, the man she sought to find soon, not an old king with several wives. She has always read about finding her prince charming, getting married to him, and having beautiful kids that will have his eyes. Just his scent alone will drive her crazy, making her fall more in love with him. But no, all her wishes are never going to happen, dreams are just meant for sleeping and nothing else, her life is ruined just because she is a woman and it hurts.

A few minutes later, her maids came in. They dressed her up in a blue ball gown with flowers on it. After that, she sat on a chair facing her mirror as they dressed her hair beautifully. Her appearance is something that attracted suitors to her. She is very beautiful, more than any princess that has ever existed in the land. Her sparkling blue eyes, natural small red lips. Her brown hair is perfectly made with its finest beauty. Her slender body, tiny waist made her so beautiful in any gown she wears. Her smile is so enchanting with perfectly shaped teeth that turn head whenever she smiles, she is indeed the real definition of pure beauty.

After her makeup, she sat on her bed as her maids excused themselves leaving her alone. She turned her gaze to her mirror staring at her reflection. The blue necklace added more color to her eyes. She didn't care about how she looked, she felt like ruining her makeup and looking so ugly as she appears in front of the king, maybe he will have a change of mind and not marry her again but, her father came to her mind, she imagines how furious he will be and she does not want to piss him off, it won't end well for her at all, she knows that.

A few minutes later, her maid opened her door.
"My Lady" she bows, "Your presence is needed," she said politely looking up at her.

"Finally, the day I dreaded is here," she said to herself getting up as she walked out of the room. Her maid followed her behind as she walked.

Getting to the hall, she could hear the sound of slow music. Entering into it, the crowd parted way for her as all eyes were fixed on her.  Her mother looked up with a smile on her face as she walked majestically towards them with her chin as up as it could be, just the way she was taught. Her father, Duke Ficalho of Portugal beckoned her to come forward faster, he was in a haste to get this all done like he didn't even consider her his daughter. She obeyed coming closer, getting to her father's throne, she bowed slightly in respect. Her father motioned her to sit beside her mother which she did.

Standing up, the crowd bowed respectfully. Looking around at his subjects. Her father motioned her to stand up, she did, walked up towards him as she stood near him facing the crowd who came for her wedding, more like her farewell party.

"Today" her father spoke out as the hall became so quiet.
"As you all know, today is the day we have all been waiting for. The day my daughter, Princess Nevada will be given up to her husband King Tommaso Giovanni of Italy as his wife" He held his daughter's hand, walked towards King Tommaso handing her over to him. King Tommaso stood up nodding his head, he looked at Nevado smiling as he revealed his set of yellow teeth.

"Take her, she is yours" Duke Ficalho declared as the crowd cheered. The music came on and the party continued.
Navajo glanced at her mother as she sat near her husband. Queen Januaris nodded at her with a sad smile.

The party continued for a little while. After, King Tommaso stood up holding Nevada. He came closer to her father as he bowed slightly, "It's time I take my leave" he declared as his servants came beside him.

Nevada's heart sank, it is time for her to leave the walls she has grown up in her whole life, not just for freedom but for another prison.

Holding the tears in her eyes, she managed to smile. Her father nodded beckoning them to take their leave.

With her husband's hand wrapped around hers, they walked out of the hall as guests stared.

A tear dropped from her mother's eye as she watched her daughter leave.

Getting out of the palace, a carriage awaited them. Nevada was gestured into it as the king sat beside her. To him, she is just another substitute used to replenish his kingdom. She doesn't blame him but her father who gave her freely like she meant nothing to him.

With a heavy heart as the carriage began to move, she closed her eyes praying silently as she hopes for a better life in the kingdom she is heading to.