Another Duet

Jade looked in the mirror, she was wearing her favorite red flannel button-up over a black t-shirt and black jeans. She ran her fingers through her hair before shutting her locker. She glanced at Tori who was talking to Cat, as long as Cat was there, Tori wouldn't say anything about the other night.

She walked up to the two quickly, "Hey Vega, are we still rehearsing the duet after school?" Jade asked, she had a nervous feeling in her gut, like she had just eaten spoiled food.

Tori smiled at her, "Yeah sure!" She replied casually, as if she didn't notice Jade's nervousness.

Jade nodded and fidgeted with her rings on her hand. She noticed that the bruises from a couple of weeks ago had already faded completely.

Tori and Cat continued their conversation, while Jade listened to her thoughts until the bell rang.

The rest of the day goes by unbelievably slowly, Andre avoiding Tori as much as he could. Tori noticed right away. Even during rehearsal, Andre asked to practice a scene without Tori or Jade. Tori and Jade wound up practicing together, which Jade didn't mind. She had been overly jealous of him anyway.

"I picked out the perfect song for class." Jade declared, sitting at Tori's piano next to Tori. "It has really easy chords and harmonies. I think you'll be able to figure it out pretty quickly." She explained.

Tori nodded, "Ok what song?" She asked curiously.

Jade set her fingers on the piano playing a chord.

Tori raised her eyebrows.

Jade continued playing the piano, she let out a deep breath before singing...

This was never the way I planned

Not my intention

Tori's jaw dropped, Jade was clever to think of that song. It had been the same song they shared their first kiss to. I kissed a girl by Katy Perry. Tori remembered the moment like it was yesterday, she asked Jade to kiss her as a joke, but it wound up being a start to something new.

I got so brave, drink in hand
Lost my discretion
It's not what I'm used to
Just wanna try you on
I'm curious for you
Caught my attention

Tori joined in, harmonizing.

I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong it felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love to night
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it

Jade nodded toward tori, signaling her to sing the next verse. Tori sat next to her on the piano bench, watching Jade's hands swiftly play the piano. She began the next verse,

No I don't even know your name
It doesn't matter
You're my experimental game
Just human nature
It's not what good girls do
Not how they should behave
My head gets so confused
Hard to obey

Jade smiled at Tori, admiring her voice.

I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
Hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it

Tori felt butterflies in her stomach like she often had. She finally knew what she was feeling. She liked kissing Jade, she liked it a lot. This song was a constant reminder of that feeling.