~86~

David took Christabel home. He followed Favour as she turned the bulbs on and laid her down on the pink-patterned bed.

Christabel felt numb and dizzy as the room floated around her like a feather, her eyes lagged as she tried to look from Favour to David and to the imminent objects around her.

It didn't take long before sleep beckoned her in. And she obeyed the gentle lullaby call. It seemed that was all she need.

"A lot of upsetting things happened today and..." Favour began while glancing at Christabel. Picking three traitorous strands of Christabel's knotless braids that seemed to sweep the floor, Favour stared at the length of the pink-coloured hair as though it was her first time seeing classic-length braids on her.

She had marvelled and applauded Christabel for sitting for long hours just to get a perfect style as long and full as that done. All in the name of beauty.

"And I added to it."

Favour almost forgot David was still there, was still placing his ankles on his laps and had his intently steady gaze on Christabel's cute form. "That is not what I mean...maybe you should tell her who you are?"

"No, not yet. Please let me know when next she has rough days."

Favour picked one of the hair caps from the blue coffee table close to the comforter. A normal routine she was used to. Only this night, she will not be using it for herself.

She stretched the cap elastic a bit, raised Christabel's head slightly and packed the braids into it slowly. It was surely a difficult task due to the heavy mass of the braids.

"Sure. Starting from tomorrow, she has to go for interviews to secure a job and at the same look for evidence
to clear herself from the charges and bring the real criminals to justice." Favour said as she dragged the hair cap to the front, making sure it covered the edges.

"She is strong and smart, she will endure everything," David responded and covered her gently with the blanket.

✨✨✨

"Mother, did Daniel come home yet?" Monica felt a boiling pit of heat in her guts as the possibility of what was happening kept filling her in with things she didn't want to hear. Things she didn't want to think of.

"Why are you asking me, you guys are a couple. You should know." David's mom replied while tilting her head to a side to show her question was trivial.

"We did but he went to a bar with my dad afterwards."

"Unless your cellphone function is to make a stew...why don't you try using it?" She said, not taking her gaze from the newspaper she held with grace.

Monica swallowed some spits. "It is off. His number is not reachable."

David's mom flipped through the pages and raised her head to meet Monica's disturbing gaze. "Did you two argue again?"

"Mother, I would like to ask you a favour."

"Judging from your expression, this must be very serious. What is it you want to say?" David's mom closed the newspaper and shifted it a bit forward absentmindedly.

"I would like to ask you a favour about the company espionage incident. I apologised to her enough and I regret it a lot. If Daniel comes, please keep it a secret if he asked. Keep everything you know a secret."