Townie (Chapter 3)

//CW - attempted S/A, physical altercation//

[Shane POV]
Shane was at his apartment attempting to find a nice-looking outfit for the party tonight. He really didn't want to go to this party at all, but he didn't really have a choice now. He shimmied into a casual gray t-shirt, a red flannel, and a pair of proper-looking jeans. He looked at himself in the mirror, smiled slightly, and nodded at himself. Shane grabbed his phone and texted Ryan to see if he needed a ride to and from the party.

Ryan responded after a few minutes and told Shane that he was gonna take an Uber. Shane frowned slightly, but shook it off, going back to applying his eyeliner. When he was all finished and "prettied" up, he left his apartment to drive to the party. But, first, he made sure he had his cigarettes with him. He pulled one out, got into his car, lit the cigarette, and drove off.

[Ryan POV]

Ryan was very excited about this little get-together. He knew Eugene would be there, and wherever Eugene was, alcohol was too. Ryan threw on a white shirt, a light-colored denim jacket, and khaki pants. Ryan felt something vibrate in his pocket, so he pulled the object out of his pocket. He had a message from Shane asking him if he needed a ride to the party.

He responded that he already had a ride and shut his phone off quickly. He posed in front of his mirror for a bit, just to make sure everything looked nice on him. Afterward, Ryan ran down from his apartment, onto the sidewalk, to wait for his Uber. He relaxed in the backseat slightly, trying to mentally prepare himself for tonight.

The two boys arrived at the party around similar times. They began to search the crowds of people for each other. Ryan finally saw Shane's big head in the sea of people and began to push his way over to him. "Hey, there you are little guy!," Shane chirped, " I've been looking for you y'know!" Shane maneuvered his arm around Ryan's shoulder and pulled him closer.

"Whaddya think of this party dude," Shane questioned. "I think it's loud," Ryan half-shouted in response. Shane chuckled slightly, nodding, and patted Ryan's back a bit. "Yeah, gonna have to agree with you on that one Bergara," he outwardly sighed, "I'm gonna go get us some drinks. You just stay here and tell me if you see anyone interesting." Shane winked and walked off to the, obviously, spiked punch bowl.

He poured himself and Ryan a glass and began to walk back to the spot they were standing at. Shane looked to the wall and saw Ryan being pinned to the wall by a man he didn't recognize. Ryan looked visibly uncomfortable by the situation as the male began to pull himself closer to Ryan. Shane had already seen enough, he ran over to protect Ryan. "Hey, what's your problem dude?" the mystery man drunkenly shouted at Shane.

"Me and this guy were just trying to have fun," the man continued, trying to get closer to Ryan again but, being blocked by Shane. Shane grabbed onto Ryan's thin waist as tried to pull him out of the situation. Suddenly, without warning, Shane felt something hit his back, hard. Shane turned around and barely dodged a punch to the face. Shane's fight or flight response kicked in at that exact moment causing him to sucker-punch this dude square in the face.

Suddenly, the two men were engaged in a full-on fistfight. A small crowd had formed around the males, they started chanting, and someone had dragged Ryan out of the way. The drunk man had gotten distracted by something for a split second giving Shane just enough time to deliver one final punch. Shane's fist flew forward, directed toward the drunk man's face. CRUNCH.

That was all Shane heard as his hand made contact. He looked down at the, now passed out, drunk man on the floor, blood pooling out of his nose. Shane and the rest of the room gasped at the sight. Shane filled with a newfound confidence spat at the man then shuffled through the crowd. He swam through the crowd until he made it to the outside.

He pulled a cigarette and lighter out of his pocket and began his ritual. Shane looked down at his blood-stained hands and cringed slightly. Shane suddenly felt a presence near him and looked over to see a disappointed, yet riled-up, Ryan. Shane quickly attempted to snuff the cigarette, but Ryan stopped him, nodding at him as if to say, 'it's okay, I understand.' Shane looked away from Ryan as he put the cigarette back in his mouth and inhaled. "Thank you, by the way... for, saving me," Ryan finally spoke.

"You don't need to thank me, dude. Just tell me next time someone does something like that to you," Shane said in a tone that made Ryan shiver. Ryan nodded in acknowledgment and shifted himself closer to Shane. Shane finished his cigarette, put it out on the back of his hand, and put his arm around Ryan, holding him close. Ryan melted into the touch and laid his head on the taller ones' shoulders.

Shane blushed slightly as he rubbed Ryan's arm to reciprocate the affection Ryan was giving him. Shane wanted to kiss the smaller man so badly, but he held himself back. "wait, what am I thinking? I'm not gay... am I?" Shane shook his head at the thought. Shane tilted his head slightly to look down at Ryan. His eyes were the color of molasses in the sun and they shined bright as the street light illuminated them. His hair was the color of a raven and was slightly curled at the end.

And his smile, oh...his smile. His teeth were pearly white, almost blinding, his nose would scrunch up, and his lips would curl at the ends. "We should probably head back inside," Ryan interrupted Shane's thoughts. Shane blinked a couple of times before replying, "Yeah, let's go."When the two re-entered the building Townie by Mitski was blasting over the speaker as people danced in groups.

Without warning, Shane felt two hands grab his arms and pull him out onto the dance floor. Shane stumbled and was shoved by the dancing people when he was face to face with the man that dragged him out, Ryan Bergara. Shane slightly panicked and stammered out that he didn't know how to dance. Ryan leaned into Madej's ear and whisper, "Just do whatever makes you comfortable." Shane felt a shiver run down his spine, then out of nowhere he spun Ryan and began to dance.

"IM NOT GONNA BE WHAT MY DADDY WANTS ME TO BE," the crowd roared. Shane and Ryan were giggling like little kids as they danced. "Did that actually happen, or are you fucking with me," Shane said in between laughs. "I swear it actually happened," Ryan put his hands up in an accusatory manner. The two danced the night away, up until 2:00 am when they decided they should leave.

Ryan stumbled out of the building, laughing with Shane. Shane stopped and opened his arms to hug the smaller man. He felt tiny arms wrap around his waist as he put his head into Ryan's raven-colored hair. They swayed slightly as they hugged, thoroughly enjoying each other's company. Shane laughed as he pulled away because this felt like an awkward ending of a date to him.

Shane felt something flutter in his chest. He has before, like when Ryan would smile, or when he laughed, or when he pretended to be mad at Shane or...When Ryan was just Ryan. No matter what Ryan did he always made Shane feel this way. 'oh shit...'

(Word count: 1324)