Seventeen: Beautifully Scarred

Jeno

The photo above doesn't belong to me

The photo above doesn't belong to me. It belongs to it's orginal owner.

For the first time since I've been attending Sheffield University with my best friend Kim Ji-hye, I was up and ready to go to class. It usually takes me forever to just roll out of bed. Today, however, I had gotten up at the crack of dawn and picked out what I wanted to wear today. By five-thirty, I've shaved, brushed my teeth, and taken a shower.

The only reason I was ready to go to school today is because Ji-hye finally agreed to wear the lime green spaghetti halter top and black, skinny leg, ripped jeans I bought for her birthday. She only agreed to wear the outfit I bought for her birthday a week ago if I agreed to come home with her to celebrate her parent's twenty-ninth anniversary. I had no problem being in the presence of Mr. and Mrs. Kim because I practically grew up at their house alongside Ji-hye and her younger siblings.

While standing in front of the bathroom mirror, checking out my appearance one last time, I began to feel like I had pressured her into doing something that she didn't want to do. I felt that way because I knew that Ji-hye was self-conscious about her appearance. She's been that way ever since the accident that left her with a burn mark on the back of her right shoulder when she and I were seven years old.

Flashback started… fourteen years ago…

“Mom, can I please go next door to play with Ji-hye?” I plead while rubbing my hands together fast.

“Only if you promise to be on your best behavior while over at the Kim's house, Jeno.” 

“I promise I will, mom.” I squealed with joy, then raced toward the front door,

“Jeno, are you forgetting something?” I hear mom ask just as I twist the doorknob.

“Mom, it's too hot to wear a jacket,” I grumbled with my small hand still on the door handle.

“Either you put on this jacket or stay home and watch me paint today.” mom says as she approaches me with my jacket in her hand. I hurriedly put the jacket on, then ran out the front door and over to Ji-hye's house.

“Jeno, I want you back at the house before the streetlights come on.” I heard mom say when I passed by the big oak tree that Mr. Kim had built Ji-hye, a pink and blue treehouse for her birthday last year.

“Good morning, Mrs. Kim.” I greeted her as soon as she opened the front door wearing a purple flowery dress.

“Good morning to you too, Jeno.” She replied, then said, “Ji-hye, Jeno is here.”