Eight: The Chocolate Box

Wonho's POV...

I've been coming to The Chocolate Box Café every day for the last year as a therapeutic exercise to get use to being around people

I've been coming to The Chocolate Box Café every day for the last year as a therapeutic exercise to get use to being around people. At first, I found that being out with people I didn't know was very hard to do. The more I went out with my best friend Shownu the more comfortable I felt being in a crowd of strangers.

He always encouraged me not to give up and to take deep breaths when I feel myself becoming overwhelmed. With his help, I was able to venture out into places that I was too afraid to even try a year ago.

He started taking me out to small grocery and clothing stores so that I could do my own shopping. Before then, I would always send him or my mom out shopping for my groceries and household needs. For my clothes, I could just order them online whenever I needed to buy something.

My most hectic outing was when he took me to a huge birthday celebration that his parents were throwing for him at the Hilton Ballroom. I felt like I was suffocating among a large group of people that were laughing loudly and bumping up against me.

Now I'm able to sit in The Chocolate Box Café surrounded by dozens of people by myself for several hours while sipping on a cup of hot cocoa and eating a strawberry-filled donut.

The only reason I kept coming to the Chocolate Box Café was because of a beautiful woman who showed up at the café at exactly 6:15 p.m. every day. She is a beautiful, thick woman with a smile that makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. The sweet and hypnotizing voice that greets others with is the main reason I find myself at the café every day before 6 p.m.

She always ordered a piping hot Mocha Cappuccino, and a large donut drizzled in caramel icing. She always sat at the table directly in front of me, reading a book and carrying on small talk with the surrounding staff.

Occasionally, she would try to spark up in conversation with me, but I would always get choked up or have an exact panic attack. I was glad that my anxiety wasn't as bad as some of the people I've heard and read about when I started doing my research on what anxiety was.

Some people struggle being around a small crowd of people, let alone being surrounded by a large group of people. For me, whenever I feel a panic attack coming on, I would tune everyone else out and just focus on my breathing.

"It looks like your little friend is running a bit late," Shownu states as he sits down on the chair across from me.

"Who said that I'm waiting to see someone?" I asked him at the same time I looked at my watch.

"You just did when you looked at your watch, then over towards the front door. Another dead giveaway is that you've been sitting at the same table that's exactly behind the mystery lady who garnered all of your attention when we're here." Shownu replied.

"Alright, so what if I'm waiting to see her. I'm not hurting anyone. It's not like I'm in a relationship. I'm a single man who appreciates looking at a beautiful work of art for the first time in my life." I uttered then sipped on my hot cocoa.