Ten: Living Words

Kihyun

Rania's POV

Rania's POV...

I sat outside at the bus station, tired from doing a long and grueling photoshoot for the front cover of Fashionista Magazine. On one side of me was an elderly woman, and on the other side was a well-dressed, middle-aged man with a set of rowdy twin toddlers.

"Ma'am, is this yours?" I asked the elderly lady while pointing at the medium size, flowery notebook. She just stared at me for a few seconds, then proceeded to look straight ahead of her. Shrugging my shoulder, I picked up the notebook and the ink pen that had the same design as the book.

"Does this notebook belong to you?" I asked the man.

"No," he replied, then turned his attention back to the twin boys, who were singing and clapping their hands together.

I opened the book hoping to find its owner's name written on the inside, but all its pages were black. I placed the book back down on the bench and just sat there, bored out of my skull. I picked it up again after waiting several minutes for the bus to arrive, then jotted down three words: MonstaX, Kihyun, Sit.

Lately, I found myself doing that a lot when I'm thinking about my bias from the dozens of K-pop groups I like to watch perform. I place the notebook on top of my legs and wait for the bus to arrive.

"Hello," a guy wearing a black hoodie, sunglasses, and a black face mask greeted me before squeezing himself in between the elderly lady and me. I just nod my head after glancing at him for a few seconds longer.

I hopped up from the bench as soon as I saw the bus approaching us with the notebook in my hand. I walked to the back of the bus after paying the bus fare. Seconds later, the guy from earlier said on the seat across from me and just stared out of the window.

I wrote Kihyun, call, Rania into the book underneath the other three words as soon as they popped into my head. I closed the book and began to imagine what I would do if my bias actually called out my name.

"Rania." I hear some call out. I began to look around the bus to see who was calling my name.

"Dammit, Rania you're trippin," I mumbled to myself after noticing that all the other people on the bus were either gazing out the window or at their electronic devices.

I opened the book again and began to scribble Kihyun, me, date on the next line. After writing those three words, I sat there thinking I must be losing my mind if I thought I heard someone calling my name.

"Rania, will you go on a date with me?" The strange guy from earlier with the black hoodie sitting across from me suddenly blurts out.

"No! I don't even know you, sir." I quickly replied. Not only that, but I begin to feel a bit creeped out that a stranger knew my name and was asking me out on a date. The guy slowly turned away from me and stared out of his window again.

"The world is full of crazy-ass people," I murmured to myself, then opened up the book again. I sat there fantasizing about Kihyun singing to me for a few seconds, then proceeded to write: Kihyun sing to me into the notebook.

Out of nowhere, the creep across from me turned towards me and began to sing "Again Spring." This was my favorite song by Kihyun. I must admit that he sounded great, but he didn't sound as good as my bias.

I sat on my seat, tuning him out, and just let my mind drift back to the man who took up all of my free time. It was almost like I had become obsessed with him. "But hey it's a healthy dose of obsession, plus I'm not hurting anyone," I mumbled to myself.

I looked at my watch and noticed that I was about five minutes away from my stop. "Just enough time for me to have one last fantasy." I thought to myself as I opened the book and wrote Kihyun professes his love to me.

While I was in the middle, fantasizing about Kihyun saying these words to me. The man stands to his feet then kneels in front of me and says, "Ms. Rania Cooper, I've loved you for a long time. I want to make you happy for the rest of your life. Will you give me a chance to prove my love to you?"

"Stay away from me, you lunatic!" I shouted after jumping up from my seat and knocking him onto the floor at the same time. "If your crazy ass follows me off this bus, I'm gonna call the cops on you," I yelled at him before exiting the bus with the notebook and pen in my hand.

I stood in my living room wondering what in the heck was up with the guy on the bus. "He must have gotten me confused with someone else that had the same name as me." I surmised as I stood recalling all the Rana, Rannia, Raneya, and Ranya Cooper I've met.

I dropped the notebook on the coffee table and walked into the kitchen to grab myself a glass of cold water. I sat down on the couch and took a few sips of water from my glass before noticing that the book had flipped open to the last page. Inscribed in the lower-right corner was a message that read:

THIS IS A MAGICAL BOOK. I ASK THAT YOU, PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF THE THINGS YOU WRITE IN IT, BOTH GOOD AND BAD. ONCE WRITTEN, IT CAN'T BE UNDONE. THE FIRST FIVE LINES YOU WRITE WILL COME TO PASS IMMEDIATELY. THE BOOK WILL NO LONGER WORK FOR THE USER IT IS IN POSSESSION OF AFTER THE FIFTH LINE. AGAIN ALL REQUESTS WILL BE GRANTED WHETHER GOOD OR BAD.

After reading this warning, everything I wrote in the book came rushing back to me. I race you back to the bus stop, hoping and praying that I wasn't too late to apologize to Kihyun, the man whom I've insulted more than twice in less than twenty minutes.

"Dammit," I grumbled after noting that I was too late. Tears fell from my eyes as I looked across the street at the billboard that read:

"Sometimes it's easy to ask for something and hard to recognize it when it has been given to you.

Please vote and comment.

JJNiles.