Enzo King

The first 10 minutes in Reyna's car were silent beside her crying. I didn't really know what to do, considering I'm psychologically incapable of empathizing, so I looked out my window. Somewhere, deep down, a small voice asked me why I wasn't watching someone suffer. Watching people cry and mourn and get pissed is a satisfying hobby of mine. So why aren't I watching with a bag of popcorn? I've already had my fill with Mr Emotional Keanu, I tell myself.

Finally, she stops crying and I look over. Her makeup is all smeared and she wipes it off with her white cover-up, which she just ditches, all in all, realizing her mistake. "What do you want?"

Money, Makai. 

I clear my throat. "I wanted to ask you about 4512."

 Sceptically, she looks me over. "Are you asking me as a cop or an undercover cop?" 

"I'm asking you as your date to the Spring Carnival," I assure, scrounging up my"caring" act. "I saw your call to Triple-A at the address and I wiped it."

She sniffs and blows her nose into her ruined cardigan. Ew. "Yeah, I know you guys did a phone log check. I figured it was you who wiped it clean...and replaced the board at the house." 

Cue the nostalgic poet: "Ah, and though she is falling apart, her mind stays at peace."

 "Please," she bites. "Nothing about this is peaceful." 

 "So you did kill...whatever his name is. I honestly can't remember," I admit. 

 "Yeah, I did," she confirms, making a gesture towards to back of her car. "With the crowbar in my trunk."

I think of all the things that could've happened while I was out. I was out getting a tux for the dance at the Spring Carnival, believe it or not. Sure, I told Aero I was hidingDestiny's body in the lake, but I hate that kid. He's always getting in my way and being my counterpart. Except it's easier to be the counterpart that everyone likes rather than be me. 

But what if she escaped with Makai? If Makai got out...I would be dead. His almost getting in Reyna's car earned me a fractured rib that I went into the hospital for...again.I've never seen my employer's face. He hides behind a black mask and shrouds himself in a dark cloak. He caught me in a drug-smuggling scene about a year ago. Apparently, he did his research and offered me 1,000$ dollars per naughty-yet-enjoyable deed and the opportunity to see someone fall apart almost every day. I said yes around 11 months ago, and I've been setting things up for him. Some of the other employed and I have been in charge of setting things up, and finally, plans have been set into motion. I don't have a motive or clue as to who this is and why they're doing these things, but I really don't care. 

"Why were you two hours out there in the first place?" I ask, more curious about how she knew where Makai was. 

"I was trying to prove a point," she says, straightening up and twisting towards me. "My friends and I were all really close to Makai. We had a clue as to where he was when Della'smom died..."

Cue the curious idiot who isn't the one keeping Makai captive: "Who's Della? And how did her mom die?" 

"Della is short for Adelina." Reyna rolls her grey eyes and pushes back strands of her hair. I remember being at the party before my brother called me when Destiny's blood, my blood, and some twins blood were on the walls. At the side of the lake, Aero had pushed those strands of hair back – so chivalrous and kind. "She was one of my close friends. Her mom was decapitated at home, and she called me and asked for me to go over. I didn't."