Chapter nine

Thomas

She curiously bit into her tall ice cream, her eyes widened and she gasped "It's actually really good". She continued to stuff her face with more and more ice cream and with less care of her appearance. It was just her, authentic Katie.

I had always known what I saw when I looked at her. I saw a pretty girl who had been broken and I felt I could help. I never even knew how I planned on doing that, 'helping' her. Although I did think about it, I thought about teaching her new things about life, I thought about taking her out of her comfort zone, I even thought about buying her new things, because that's what every girl wants right? But I never thought about what she really needed, not until this moment at least. As I saw her face light up in every lick of her ice cream I realized, what she needed was a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen and someone to be there for her, in the good and the in bad. Now, in this moment, I didn't just see a broken, pretty girl. I saw a mesmerizing girl who deserves the world and more. And all I could do is be the person to give it to her. When I thought that thought, a burning desire inflamed in my heart which further made me understand that I don't feel sorry for Katie Smith:

I have feelings for Katie Smith.

Katie

I walked into school eager to see him again. Even if I did see him, I wasn't sure what I'd say but the thought of him and I locking eyes excited me.

He doesn't like you back

I still have negative thoughts, they never leave, as much as I may try to get them out of my head. I just learnt how to not give them as much power as before because now, I have more to live for than I did to die for.

I saw Becca In the hallway and ran to her.

"Katie!" she exclaimed "I have big news to tell you" she grinned.

"Me too!" I said matching her energy.

"Okay, you go first."

"No, you first"

"Okay I'll start." we walked towards our class "Try not to overreact."

"It depends on what you tell me."

"I kind of started dating Alex."

"What?" I screamed and then lowered my tone in recognition of the many people looking at us "Alex? As in Class president Alex? When? How? What?"

"Shhhh" she said looking around "People are staring" she laughed "Yes that Alex. I told him I liked him over the weekend and he said he felt the same. We only made it official yesterday."

"You told him?" I gasped.

"Yeah"

"Damn Becca, that's ballsy" I wish I had that much confidence "I'm so happy for you Becca." I hugged her

"Thank you" she hugged me back "Now what did you want to tell me."

I brought her close to me so I could whisper in her ear "I have a crush on Thomas."

"Well duh"

"Duh?"

"I knew that already"

I laughed "How when I only realized yesterday?"

"Exactly, you only realized yesterday, but it's been going on for way longer than that" she came close to my face "I know you better than you know yourself Katie Smith" we both laughed and went off to class.

I hoped on seeing him today but I assumed he was busy preparing for the game on Friday, since he is the captain.

I was desperate for the bathroom so I went before heading home.

I entered the last stall on the right and locked it. Just as I did that, I heard two voices entering the stalls to the left of me. One of the voices belonged to Chloe.

"So, are you going to get back with Thomas anytime soon?" the other voice asked.

So they used to date.

"Well, you know how it is. We're on then we're off then next thing you know, we're on again." Chloe replied.

My heart sunk to my stomach.

"But do you see you guys being on again? I mean, it's been a while now since you guys broke up"

I waited in anticipation for her response.

Please say no. Please say no. Please say no.

"Well of course." They simultaneously flushed their toilets and exited their stalls "He can't get enough of me." They both laughed.

I stayed standing in the bathroom stall flabbergasted. I wasn't sure if I should cry like I always do, or cuss him out. He never even said he liked me so I shouldn't care, but the way he looks at me has to mean something. The way he acts around me and his effort to be close with me has to mean something.

I walked out of the stall, washed my hands and exited the bathroom

I found James in the hallway.

"Hey!" he said excitingly.

"Hi James"

"What's wrong?"

I ignored his question "how long have Thomas and Chloe been on and off?"

"Probably since junior year, why?"

"And how long has it been since they were last together?"

"It's been a while now"

"Why do they keep breaking up though?"

"Apparently she cheated, a lot."

"And why do they keep getting back together?"

"I honestly wouldn't know. Why do you ask?"

I sighed ignoring his last question and walked away to my car.