Chapter twelve

Katie

Becca, James and I were in the car driving to my house, to get ready for the game.

"Everyone's talking about you Katie." James said from the back seat.

"I know" I sighed.

"What's wrong?" Becca asked.

"I just don't really like being the centre of attention, that's all." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Have you already forgotten Katie?" James asked.

"Forgotten what?"

"The only eyes that matter are mine" James lowered his voice, mocking Thomas.

We all laugh as we pulled into my driveway. We sprinted into the house, up the stairs and into my room.

I don't really wear makeup so James and Becca did that for me, and they helped me out with an outfit.

I wore a black bodycon dress that reached five fingers above my knees. You could see me thick thighs that curved outward showing my hips. Becca and James said I have a nice body but that didn't change how insecure I was of it. We chose a neutral colour so it wouldn't clash with the orange jacket Thomas planned on giving me.

I hope I look good enough for him.

James wore a pink polo shirt with black jeans and carried a little white baguette bag.

Becca blue skinny jeans and a white bodysuit with a V-neck. She also wore neutral colours to avoid clashing with Alex's jacket which she forced him to let her wear.

We stood in the mirror, Becca and James admired themselves. I looked at each curve and felt a little more insecure.

"We look good ladies." James exclaimed.

I hear my mom knock on my door.

"Come in" I shout.

"Honey you look fantastic!"

I gave her a big hug.

"We should get going now" Becca said looking at the time.

"Okay" my mom smiled "Have fun guys, don't do anything I wouldn't do" she winks.

We exited the house, entered Becca's car and drove off to school.

As I stepped out of the car, I felt my phone vibrate. It was a text from Thomas.

Thomas: "Are you here yet?"

Me: "Yeah I'm in the parking lot right now."

Thomas: "Wait there."

I waited a good three minutes until I heard a voice call my name.

"Katie!" Thomas jogged toward me. Panting and sweating.

How does he look so good even while breathless?

He bent down and held his knees in an effort to catch his breath.

I put my hand on his back "Are you okay?"

He got up, smiled and pulled me in for a hug.

"Why are you so sweaty?" we released from each other "not that I'm complaining" I mumble.

"I just ran all the way here from the field."

"aww, you ran to see me?" I gave him puppy eyes.

"Of course" he smiled.

I had my arms wrapped around my tummy, hiding it. Then, I noticed as his eyes began to scan my body. He observed me so closely I began to get nervous on what he was going to say.

He grabbed my arms removing them from my tummy and spun me, putting my insecurities on a high until,

"Wow." He said settling down my nerves. He looked to the sky and continued "Lord, what did I do to deserve this?"

Butterflies invaded my stomach and my cheeks heated up.

He leaned into me, "you look perfect" and placed a kiss on my cheek.

"You really mean that?"

"Now why would I lie?" he smirked.

I looked down feeling the shyest I've ever been in my life.

He grabbed onto my hand and led me to his car which he opened and took out his jersey, putting it on me.

"I've marked you" he leaned into me and whispered "There's no escaping me now" he smiled.

"Oh no, somebody help me!" I laughed.

It was now time for Thomas to get ready for the game so he escorted me to find James and Becca.

"Take care of her." Thomas said to them as he walked away.

We took our seats in the stands and watched as the game began.

"Guys I'm gonna get us drinks" James and Becca nodded.

Standing by the table filled with drinks was Chloe and two of her other friends.

I walked toward them and attempted to ignore them but they had other plans.

"Hey Katie" Chloe said with the most cynical smile on her face.

"Hi Chloe."

"That jacket looks adorable on you." She touched my arm.

I moved my arm, got our drinks and tried to walk away when one of them came in front of me, blocking my way.

"It looked better on me though." Chloe continued.

"Good for you" I tried to walk around the girl in front of me but she moved blocking my way again. I turned around to look at Chloe "What do you want?"

She walked closer to me "I want to see Thomas' rebound. But, I can't seem to find her."

"I'm not a rebound." I defended.

She gasped "Now I get it. He's just trying to make me jealous and lucky enough, he found you. The ultimate attention whore who was willing to take the spotlight that came with being his 'girlfriend'."

"Well, I guess it worked didn't it?"

Her smirk fell "Shut up fatty." My heart sunk to the floor "You're not even half as pretty as I am."

She's right.

Her words opened up wounds that I thought were closed. I dropped the drinks and ran to find the bathroom.

"Yeah run. You need the exercise" Chloe shouted and I heard her friends laughing in the background.

I know I'm not overweight. I know that. But I also know that I'm not skinny therefore I'm on the spectrum of fat. And I'm definitely smart enough to know that I'm nowhere near as pretty as Chloe. Chloe is the perfect image of the beauty standard, how could I compare to her?

I made it to the bathroom and cried my eyes out.

Maybe she's right, maybe I am just a rebound. Maybe he was so tired of being single that he searched for comfort in the broken fat girl.

I dropped to the floor and continued sobbing until my head hurt.

"Katie!" I heard yelling in the halls but chose not to respond.

"Katie!" I heard again realizing who it was.

"Katie!" Thomas kicked down the bathroom door.

"Is the game already over?" I wiped my tears.

Without responding, he got down on the ground and pulled me in to hug him. I wrapped my arms around his torso, now feeling secure.