XI: Lifeline

Much to Entrapta's disappointment, Hordak did not let her pilot Sophie to the rendezvous point. She was more annoyed with herself than she was at him. Their agreement was that Entrapta could pilot the craft if she was fully well in the morning, but the dull pain behind her eyes was still there. She couldn't even attempt to hide it. Hordak knew without even asking.

Entrapta watched the scenery go by in silence. This incessant headache was getting on her nerves. Hordak thinks I'm working too hard, but I'm not even doing anything right now! I don't understand it.

She had checked her temperature multiple times, and other than one low-grade fever, there was nothing worth worrying about. Her blood pressure was always within healthy numbers. She felt a little nausea when her headaches were at their worst, but she was sure that was only from the severity of the pain. I'm not sick. I don't have any other symptoms. Perfuma says I need to drink more water, but all that does is make me pee!

"Entrapta."

"Hm?" She glanced at Hordak. His eyes were straight ahead, keeping to their course while also making sure not to crash Sophie into anything. For a long moment, he said nothing.

"I realize the temptation to press on through discomfort," Hordak said at last. "However... it is not worth harming yourself."

"I know," she nodded. "But resting doesn't seem to help much anymore. I took five breaks yesterday. I counted. If your theory is correct and it's due to overwork, I should be getting better."

"Yes." His ears dipped. "I am sorry."

Entrapta put a finger to her chin. "Maybe it's some sort of alien virus. I could have picked up something on Prime's ship, or maybe the clones could have brought it to Etheria."

The ship swerved noticeably as Hordak tensed in shock, a look of horror on his face.

"Don't worry, I'm sure I'll be fine!" She patted his arm. "Besides, if it was a virus, the others should be sick too, and so far I'm the only one."

He nodded, his ears still lowered. Entrapta never had someone so concerned for her safety before. I suppose it must be natural for a partnership.Hordak knew more about her than anyone, and still he chose to stay with her. He didn't abandon her when she was falling apart. That meant more to Entrapta than anything. She smiled, finding distraction in examining her partner's face. The sharp contours of his cheekbones, his linear markings, his crest of dark blue hair, the faint shadow of grey over his eyelids, the warm yellow-green of his eyes. They were changing shade, she was sure of it now. It was easy to tell the difference compared to Kadroh's.

The soft hum of the ship changed tone as Sophie slowed to land. They were descending beside the outskirts of a scraggly wood. The area was sheltered by a cluster of large rocks. Hordak maneuvered Sophie into the shade of the boulders, leaving plenty of room to take off as soon as they needed to leave.

Entrapta leaned against Hordak's shoulder, her hand on his arm. "You're pretty good at this, but I'm definitely calling pilot next time!"

Hordak reached up to place his hand over hers. Entrapta's tiny pigtails tilted toward him, and with a small pang she wished she could wrap him up in an embrace with her hair. "As you wish," he said. "Now, let us see about meeting these new allies."

"You bet!"

Netossa and Swift Wind met them outside. Spinny shared a long embrace with her wife, and assumingly to help Swift Wind feel included, Kadroh gave the bird-horse a hug as well. Netossa explained the rest of her group was sheltering inside a shallow cave a short walk away. She waited until everyone was ready and then led the way to the camp. The morning was painfully bright, but in the shadow of the rocks all Entrapta could make out were the dim shapes of people.