Ch.7 Children's Festival Preparation

"Reki....Reki," Langa whispered out his name trying to wake him up.

Reki groaned and slowly flipped himself over in his sleep. Langa stared at him not knowing what to do.

"Reki!" Koyomi pulled the blankets off of her sleepy brother and started poking him on his sides.

Reki let out a small groan within every poke from his sister. He slowly opened his eyes and glared at Koyomi. "It's too early for this..." he sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"It's literally afternoon. You missed breakfast and its lunch time," Koyomi crossed her arms and stared at Reki who had a surprised expression from realizing he slept in so much.

"So what's the plan for today again?" Reki stretched his arms as he still sat in bed.

"We were gonna eat then head down to the village to help decorate for the children's festival," Langa sat on the bed next to Reki, Koyomi flopped on both of them and just laid across their legs. Both boys let out a noise of pain when she did that.

"Is it just going to be just us or is Cherry coming along?" Reki asked as he grabbed strands of his sister's hair and started braiding them.

"Cherry said he has to write letters to our mom and he was going to be busy so it's just gonna be us," Koyomi said listlessly. (Listlessy means lack of interest, energy or spirit. It's a new word for me so yk lol)

"Okay well get off so we could go eat."

Koyomi got off of the princes and they both headed to the dining table and ate.
They all got ready and headed out. They walked the same direction from the day before. Langa was a bit nervous and scared considering there's no adults with them, on the other hand Koyomi and Reki were as normal as normal can be since it's common for them.

Reki noticed Langa's discomfort and looked down at his feet, he bit his lip as he thought about how he was going to ask Langa if there's something wrong. He looked at Langa and finally asked.

"Everything ok?"

"Yeah..." Langa faltered. (Faltered means to speak hesitantly or brokenly. It's also another new word for me)

"Come on Langa, don't be nervous. You have us," Koyomi grabbed her brother's hand then took Langa's and started running. "Come on!" She said with a wide smile.

Reki and Langa picked up the pace and they all started running down to the village. When they arrived at the main trail, where all the attractions were, they all stopped to catch their breath.

When they caught their breath they looked around to see adults putting up decorations and kids running around playing and having a good time.

They walked up to a teenager around the same age as the two princes. She had purple curly hair that stopped at her waist. She was taller than Reki and Langa and she always had a big smile on her face.

"Hello my name is Ruth. I'm the one in charge of everything this year," in her hands were paper lanterns that some of the kids made. She handed them over to someone who was on a ladder hanging them all along the village.

"You seem so young to be in charge of something this big!" Koyomi's eyes glistened at the thought of how many strong and empowered women are in Langa's kingdom.

Ruth giggled, "My father's usually the one to do this but he's a lil sick right now so he put me in charge. I've been preparing for this my whole life and I finally get to show that I'm ready for this!"

"Hm I envy you..." Reki gave her a sad smile then looked down from embarrassment since he didn't realize he said it outloud.

Langa glanced over at him and felt bad, he'd thought Reki had moved on from it. And even if he hadn't, he hoped he'd forget about it for a while.