The Mosaic

What do you do when you have nothing left? Some people turn to religion, others to war. They find a battle to fight and they fight it like their very existence revolves around seeing change and leading the crusade against the evils they see in the world. There are people who fight religion and those who take up armor to defend it.

There are people with no one to fight but themselves. They have nothing; nothing to give and saying they have no chance of finding happiness or even basic human rights would give them too much hope. They sit on the dusty earth while it spins, carrying them to a future they had no control over. They can work. They can write. Fight, pray, dream. But they have nothing left. Scrap for dignity while they help build someone else’s dream.

I think by now: there will always be classes, always be leaders. We will always have to bow to a force we will never see. But when all of the pieces to the mosaic fall into place and contribute to a society that is divided, with no more and no less problems than before, just different battles for the people to fight, we often wonder . . . why can’t those classes just be equal if they must exist? Why can’t a leader fight off the cement of corruption that binds their feet to the ground and stops them from changing with the world? Why can’t we bow to a force for good that feeds us and shelters us so we can go out and find happiness for ourselves?

Why are mosaics beautiful because they are broken? Why is society being led from the darkness of the past by people who will only drag it to a barren wasteland where we will all suffer? Broken under the guise of revolution and oppression . . . and pretty art.