SEPTEMBER IN SOKOVIA: HOME

You're still surprised that the servants aren't talking about your morning escape to the coast

You're still surprised that the servants aren't talking about your morning escape to the coast. You were certain they would be whispering about the new Baroness and her wild foreign ways, but no, if anything it seems to have only endeared you to them all the more.

After you recovered from that remarkable thing Helmut did with his mouth, you went with him through the gap in the wall to see that he'd ridden his horse to find you.

The ride back —sat high in the leather saddle with Helmut steady behind you— was glorious. That crisp morning air tossed your hair while his coat kept you warm. When you'd come back looking like a ghost brought in from the moors, the servants just smiled and bowed to their beautiful mistress and helped you warm by the fire and as promised served a breakfast fit for a Baroness.

Now, after a day of trying to learn your way around the castle, and another night learning your way around your Husband, you lie naked and spent smiling as you stare off at nothing, the fire crackling in the distance.

You can hear the leafless branches of the trees scraping the window as you lay in his arms, curled up small and safe beside him, your bare skin pressed against his.

"Will it always be this way?" You ask quietly.

He stirs, his hand laying over the curve of your shoulder, stroking down, tickling the tiny hairs along your arm to the top of your hand which you lift letting your fingertips touch, meeting in the air like a steeple. He slides his down interlacing them, resting both your hands in the space between your hips.

"What way is that?" He asks preoccupied with admiring the sight of you still shaking a bit after a more... ambitious encounter tonight. You're still thinking about the way it felt when he got behind you...

"I feel—light— I thought maybe I would be sad to lose that part of me, but now I see that it doesn't matter so much. Now that I've shared it with you. It's like floating."

"No. It won't always be this way. But when it is, there is nothing better." He smiles.

You shut your eyes listening to the trees outside, inclined to agree.

He says your name and you look into his eyes. "What is it?"

"I want to talk to you about something." He says pulling his hand free of yours to smooth your hair from your face.

"If it's about what we've just done...I can't help not knowing what to do, it's only been two nights, you'll just have to be patient," You say bluntly. Helmut laughs, rolling onto his back until you pull up beside him smiling. "What? I don't want you critiquing me just yet dear husband."

He lays his palm to your cheek. "I have nothing to critique draga devojko, which I thought I'd made rather clear." He says and takes his hand away to rub your stomach— low beneath your navel.