Chapter 14: Fake Treachery

"Wait-what?" Hajime almost dropped his spoon, staring at the king sitting across him on the giant table. It was a fine morning, just a normal breakfast time in the castle of Kasai. Days have passed since they returned from Toketsu, all exhausted and dizzy, even recounting all the events that occured because of one damn wedding was confusing. Just a while ago, the king suggested a plan that he thinks only Hajime himself is capable of, but it seems like a crazy idea.

"How the hell can Shitface sneak in the damn castle and burn it down in one night?" Rin raised an eyebrow at the king, making a face at him. "You know at the sight of him they're gonna stab his ass until he can't move, right? This would just make us look pathetic and laughable."

"I know, Rin. It sounds ridiculous." His Majesty replied as he took a sip of his coffee. "But I wasn't done yet, I thought burning down the castle would be good, but I can't think of how." At what he said, Hajime suddenly thought of a plan. He wanted to go there right now to search for something. He wanted to sneak in the castle and find out the intentions of Kamen, of why they are attacking everyone. The redhead swallowed his roasted Taillow wing and stated.

"I think I know what to do." He placed his elbow on the table, resting his chin on his palm as he started to explain. "Perhaps a fake defection could work."

"Fake defection?" Everyone's heads turned toward him to give him weird looks, making it look like he's crazy, but deep inside, they knew he must be up to something.

"Master Hajime. . How?" Hitoshi raised an eyebrow at him, his crimson eyes staring at his redheaded friend curiously. Tsukiko stared at Hajime with a worried look, as if trying to convince him to change his mind, but even Tsukiko can't alter his decision right now.

"It's simple. I have to pretend I surrendered to them, then just burn their resources." He shrugged. "If it didn't work well, I'll think of a way through it." He simply answered, and stood up from the table.

"Where are you going?" Rin growled, slamming her fork down on the table. "You're really serious about going there ON YOUR OWN?" She glared at him, gritting her razor sharp teeth and tightening her fists. He raised an eyebrow at her and nodded.

"Yeah."

"Hajime, you still haven't let us finish." The King stopped him before he can walk out, and turned to Rin. "I'm assigning you to be his bodyguard from now on, Rin."

"Wait-what?!" Rin and Hajime's eyes widened at his sudden decision, looking at him with bewildered looks as the King smiled. "Are you fucking kidding me?!"

"Your Majesty, I can handle this on my own." Hajime protested, adjusting his eyepatch as he said so.

"No. That injury is now a great disadvantage to you, and I will not allow a friend of mine to be in danger." The King fought back, giving them a stern look. Friend. . . That one word took Hajime by surprise, striking him in the heart att he very thought of it.

"F-friend. . . ?" Hajime's eye widened, that one word echoing in his head as he started to think. Friends? He thought they only see him as an ally, a tool for the upcoming battles, and he only fought because he has nowhere else to go. . . And now he heard he was considered a friend. It made him feel strange, almost happy.

The king smiled and ruffled his hair, "If not a friend, I almost consider you a son. We don't just recruit people randomly just for us to use." He grinned.

"B-but. . ." Hajime looked up, staring at the king's face underneath his crimson locks of hair. "Your Majesty. . . I am nothing but a mere stranger who only agreed to be used as a tool for this war. . ." At what he said, it made Hitoshi, Tsukiko, and the King mouths curve up into smiles, and it made them burst out laughing while Rin glared at everyone.