Chapter 34: Falling into Insanity

Last Chapter in Broken Histories, Burdening Destinies

"Rin. . . Don't go!" Hajime grabbed her hand, holding it close to his chest. He tightly gripped on her hand as if the world depended on it. Rin sighed and held his hand gently.

"I wanted someone to save me, too. . . I'm thankful that you saved me, Hajime. . ."

Rin doesn't know he's there anymore. . . She blinked away her tears and her smile widened. Her hand finally slipped away from his.

She can now atone for all the sins she committed, even if she thought she'll never be forgiven. . .

Hajime stood there, frozen, as he stared at the now dead body of Gasai Rin. His eyes were wide in shock and disbelief, his tears trailing down, not accepting the sad reality. He doesn't want to let Rin go yet, not yet. He still hasn't told her the fact that he loved her. . .

He doesn't want to let go yet.

In anguish, Hajime laid his head on her still chest and cried silently to himself, gripping on her lifeless hand. He doesn't want to accept that she's dead. The strong, fierce and independent Rin he knows. . . She's dead. . .

"The answer I wanted. . . Was to understand why you want to come near a monster like me. . ."

Those were the only words he can remember. He was too drowned in his torment to hear her painful words. Just thinking about it made him hate his own being.

Rin died because of him. She died to save him.

He never felt so much pain and anger and anguish in his whole life, it's like he himself is going insane. Standing up, shaking violently, he stared at Rin's dead body one last time.

It's all Kenshin and Uranus' fault. . .His own father. . .

Hajime's body trembled with rage as he thought of everything Kenshin did to Rin. . . If he was indeed Kamen, then that means. . .

'He must die for all the pain he caused Rin. . .' An evil glint shone in his his eye as he imagined the look on Kenshin's face if he's here. His own father. . . His very own father and enemy.

He must die. . .

Hajime made a decision. He's going to avenge Rin, avenge all the people his father tormented and avenge the suffering Uranus caused. He'll kill them no matter what, he won't show any mercy now. He stared at Rin again, blinking. For once, she looked peaceful. A smile was on her face. . . She's no longer stuck in this world to continue suffering, but there was a price. Even if she went to a world of peace, she lost the dearest things she had left.

As if his body was moving on its own will, his feet led him away from the scene. The expression on his face seemed crushed. All he can think of was Rin's death.

She died. . . That's all in his mind. He's going insane. He can already feel the madness. He's slowly being corrupted.

Rin died. . .

Rin died. . .

She's gone. . .

She's. . . gone. . .

Trudging up the jagged pass, he tried to mindlessly retrace his steps. Why does she have to be taken away? Even if she was a killer, an insane bitch, even she doesn't deserve it, yet she doesn't know. Her explainable insanity is no excuse for her to be taken away. She fought to avenge herself and her family, to protect her siblings, to keep herself sane as well. She curses because of all the agony and insanity she kept in. She's not horrible, she's innocent deep inside. It was destiny that burdens them with the madness and darkness it holds, it was their histories that haunt them and drag them out.