𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 26

"This area is for the swap meet." John spread a map out on a table in the office and indicated a section of the field. "People drive in here, register at the gate, and park their show cars in the designated spot. Food trucks and booths here, stage and music tent here."

"Looks good." Tyler checked the list of action items. "I got two yeses from car dealerships for vendor booths. So that brings us to...three vendors so far."

John gave him a wry grin. "That's three more than we had last week."

"I'm hitting a bunch of places tomorrow. Auto parts stores, motorcycle shop, a few sporting goods stores. I just signed the lease for the field rental, so we're on for September 15. How many car entries do we have?"

"Four." Charlie peered at the registration form on the new computer. "One Henry Waters was first to register with a '68 California Special."

Tyler was pleased to think of the Mustang getting a well-deserved exhibit. He hadn't ruled out the hope that one day the garage-his garage-could focus exclusively on classic car restoration. If they started turning a profit and getting a reputation for restoration work, that hope could become a reality.

The desk phone rang, and Charlie picked it up. "King Garage and Restoration Services," he announced. "Charlie speaking."

Tyler turned back to his list. They had a ton of work to do in order to make the Fordwell Classic Car Show a success, but for the first time in his life, he was equal to the challenge. Hell. He craved the challenge. Because he could do it.

He'd negotiated a new agreement with Sam Corrigan for the boat payments, which might not come as steadily as they would have had he still been working at the library. But Sam, a self-made multi-millionaire who'd started his own labeling company, had been willing to see both the change in Tyler and his efforts. So had Warren King.

"Guy says he found an old Pontiac at a repo sale." Charlie held the phone away from his ear. "He's thinking about restoring it, but doesn't know where to start. Want to talk over a plan with him?"

"Yeah, definitely."

"He can have it towed here this afternoon."

"Great." Tyler checked his watch. "I need to run over to Rainbow Palace for a couple of hours, but I'll be back by three."

Charlie conveyed this info to the caller before hanging up. Tyler and John finished going over the updated Fordwell plans, then Tyler headed over to the bakery for a business session with Jupiter, who was helping him set up the expenses spreadsheets for the garage.

When he returned to the garage later in the afternoon, he eyed the rusted old Pontiac now sitting in the bay where the California Special had been.

He walked around the car, surveying the body and assessing all that would have to be done. Like his Mustang, this car would need to be rebuilt from the floor pan up. Dismantle the car bolt by bolt, rebuild the engine, reassemble the body.

"'67 Firebird." Charlie approached from the office. "Never had one here, huh?"

"No kidding." Tyler ran his hand over the fender, trying not to get too excited at the idea of starting a new project. "Any time frame or budget?"