𝑬𝒑𝒊𝒍𝒐𝒈𝒖𝒆

Six months later

Dozens of restored classic cars—Mustangs, Pontiacs, El Caminos, Thunderbirds, Camaros, Corvettes—sat in perfect rows across the field, their polished painted exteriors gleaming in the sun. A banner proclaiming Fordwell Classic Car Show: A Fundraiser for the Veterans’ Association hung at the entrance. Vendor booths and food trucks lined the opposite end of the field, along with a stage where a live band had been performing all morning.

Kate made her way through the crowd, which consisted of both local and visiting guests as well as plenty of volunteers. The scents of burgers, burritos, and fried chicken hung in the air as people wandered around sampling food and enjoying the cars and the music.

She waved at Jupiter and Josh, who were selling croissant sandwiches and Declairs at the Rainbow Palace booth. Not far from them, Julia Bennett and Spencer King staffed the Candy King Historical Confectionary booth—the first preview of Candy King's new line of historically authentic, small-batch artisan chocolate and candy.

Josh and Warren had insisted that Tyler be paid a substantial licensing fee and royalties for the idea, and Tyler was both putting the money back into his trust fund and using it to upgrade the garage.

Kate stopped at the Smooth Moves truck and ordered a Mango Sunrise and a Blueberry Blast smoothie. She gathered two straws and walked to the display area, where Tyler was making the rounds among the rows of cars.

Dressed in cargo shorts and a Fordwell Classic Car Show T-shirt, walkie-talkie in hand, he looked both comfortable and entirely in his element as he stopped to discuss the vehicles with both guests and owners. People gravitated toward him as if he were a king holding court, reaching out to shake his hand and slap him on the back.

He was perfect for this role, smiling and laughing easily, eager to talk about the cars, thanking people for their support. His buddies—both the vets he’d hired to work at the garage and his college friends—patrolled the area as volunteers ensuring the program stayed on track.

Kate approached, and Tyler glanced in her direction as if he’d sensed her coming. A smile spread across his face, his gaze skimming her figure in shorts and a car show volunteer T-shirt.

“You need to go back there right now,” he said, indicating the food booths.

Kate stopped. “Why?”

“So I can watch you walk toward me all over again.”

She smiled, extending the Blueberry Blast smoothie. “How about I put on my red camisole tonight and walk across the bedroom toward you instead?”

His eyes darkened, and he leaned over to give her a swift kiss.

“That’ll work,” he murmured roughly.

Kate patted his chest, her heart bursting with pride over everything he’d accomplished in recent months. Business at the garage had been steadily increasing, and he’d had three new classic vehicles come in as restoration projects. Not to mention, the car show was proving to be a huge success, with full-capacity registration and proceeds that would exceed their expectations.

“You did it.” She stroked her hand over his chest. “Congratulations.”

We did it,” he corrected, capturing her hand and pressing a kiss against her palm.

“Tyler.”

They both looked up at the sound of Warren King’s deep voice. Kate had never seen the Candy King president dressed so casually—like everyone else, Warren wore shorts and a T-shirt, but even so he still conveyed the regal force that was such a part of him.

“I was talking to Brian Oldham, from the factory.” Warren stopped beside them, nodding a greeting at Kate. “Says he knows a guy who has an old Model-T, like the kind King Confectioners once used as delivery trucks. We should contact him. A restored Model-T with our logo on the door would be a great marketing tool for the Historical Confectionary line. Your aunt Julia has all kinds of ideas about opening a shop downtown, in which case we could park it outside, maybe even offer deliveries.”

“That’s a great idea, Dad.”

Warren extended a business card. “Give him a call, see what you can work out.”

Tyler glanced at the card and slipped it into his pocket. “Does Julia know you’re considering her shop idea?”

“Not yet.” Warren’s forehead furrowed, though amusement lit in his eyes. “Once I tell her, she’ll charge into it full-force. Julia is nothing if not passionate about her ideas.”

“I’m going to assume that’s a compliment,” Julia said, her tone dry.

They all looked up. She walked toward them, a vision of loveliness in khaki capris and a well-fitted car show T-shirt. She stopped beside Kate and arched an eyebrow at Warren, who responded with a faintly abashed smile.

“Have I ever given you anything but compliments?” he asked.

“Unfortunately not.” Julia muttered the response under her breath, so softly that Kate was sure she was the only one who heard it.

She glanced from Julia to Warren. Was there really a sizzle of heat arcing between them or was it just the sun? Tyler seemed utterly oblivious, his attention focused on an incoming call on his walkie-talkie.

“Spencer is going on a lunch break,” Julia told Warren. “Can you come and help out at the booth? We have a line of about a dozen people.”

“Let’s not make them wait longer than necessary,” Warren replied.

The two of them headed back to the Candy King booth. Tyler spoke into the walkie-talkie, then cut the connection and pressed a kiss to Kate’s forehead.

“You need anything?” he asked.

“Just you.”

He smiled and pulled her into his arms, the place she loved most in the world. The past few months of living and working together had been a combination of everything that made her and Tyler so good as a couple. Their lives were both a whirlwind of pleasure and a steady routine—work days broken up by spontaneous weekend trips, dirty hot sex mitigated by gentle flirtations, dinners of chicken and kale salad varied by takeout pizza.

And through it all, everything they did either together or separately, ran a strong unbroken thread of love and loyalty. Not a second passed that Kate wasn’t aware of Tyler in the world, his presence as strong and timeless as the stone of a quarry, his devotion to her as deep as the sea. She was no longer alone or homesick. In fact, she’d found her home the moment she’d fallen into his arms.

Finally, she understood. Love wasn’t about finding someone who shared all your qualities. That would be far too boring. Love was about finding someone who fit you perfectly because of your differences. Like eggs and bacon. Sun and moon. Heart and soul. Tyler and Kate.