9 - Bar Night

After the table's third round, the conversation takes a more interesting turn.

"For real though... Mercy, would you sleep with Y/N?" Alexis asks Mercedes, who genuinely ponders the question. You already know your own answer, but hers should be interesting.

"Depends. Are we talking like, kissy missionary sex, or are we talking about some of that good fucking where he blows your back out?"

"Jesus Christ, Mercy... the second one, probably."

"Without a doubt. Look at this piece of work and tell me either of you girls wouldn't do the same."

"Maybe, if I wasn't taken," Becky replies thoughtfully, kissing Colby on the cheek. He smiles cheekily.

Everyone turns to Alexis for her thoughts, but she changes the subject by getting up to get more drinks. Becky goes with her and Colby heads towards the bathroom, leaving you alone with Mercy.

"I think she likes you," she says, looking at over at her friend. They sneak looks at you as they wait for the drinks. Surely she doesn't like you?

"I dunno, you did just ask her if she'd fuck her friend while said friend is sitting right there," you reply. She shrugs, realizing you have a good point.

"It was still a yes or no question. It's not like she actually had to take you out back and let you take her to town," she comments under her breath. You don't let her snarky comments get to you, but it does make you realize that Mercedes is a hit or miss kind of girl. Either you love her or hate her, there's no in-between. "Speaking of which, would you?"

"What, fuck Alexis in a back alley? I dunno." You aren't lying. Alexis Kaufman is a lot of fun and pretty cool all around, but is she the kind of girl you would fuck?

"Liar."

The others return all at once, and the festivities continue. However, you do notice a shift in Alexis's attitude. She seems a little more calm and collected. Almost like she's trying to make it seem like nothing happened.

Five rounds in is when things branch off. Mercy gets bored and leaves, and Becky drags Colby onto the dance floor. You and Alexis sit in the booth and watch them have their fun.

"I'd like that, someday," she sighs dreamily, leaning forward and resting her chin in her hands.

"What, dancing? If you need a partner, I'm right here."

"No, I'd like to love someone like that. Look at how adorable they are." She sighs again, then looks at you. Apparently, you aren't doing a great job of hiding the pain. You have experienced that kind of love before. Alexis realizes this and apologizes, "Sorry, I forgot."

"Nah, it's good," you lie, patting her shoulder reassuringly. The booth is silent for a long time, and it's her who speaks up.

"What happened that night, Y/N?"

Though you wish you didn't have to relive it, you tell her, "We were sitting there looking at the sunset. Suddenly, she told me she was cheating, and I just kind of sat there as she packed her shit up and left."

"I'm sorry. I know how much you loved her."

"As long as I got you guys, I'll be okay."

There's a very important detail you left out of the story: your plan to propose that night. That particular detail is just too difficult to put into words. You swore to Amanda that you were going to marry her one day, and she told you she'd follow you anywhere. Apparently you both lied.

Alexis scoots closer to you and rests her head against your chest, and you wrap your arm around her shoulders.

"Wanna get lunch tomorrow?" she asks quietly. You're barely able to hear her over the music.

"Sure. Be up by 11:00 tomorrow, and I will take care of the rest," you say, and Alexis mock-laughs at you. Ha, what she doesn't know is that you would not hesitate to call her to wake her up.

Since Becky and Colby are showing no signs of leaving anytime soon, the two of you decide to leave in her car. On the way back to the hotel, you text Colby.

Y/N: we left

Colby: all good, don't have too much fun

Y/N: my fun is sleeping

Colby: wet blanket alert

Y/N: have fun, kids. I'll cya later

Colby:✌️

At the hotel, you and Alexis stand around next to her car with nothing in mind.

"You're a great guy, Y/N. You do know that, right?" she asks quietly, looking deep into your eyes.

"I guess." You don't get compliments like that very often, and especially not lately. A huge portion of the fans are still siding with Amanda, and the things they have been saying can really tear a guy down.

"What happened with Amanda wasn't your fault. Some girls... just never grow up."

"Maybe you're right. Thanks, Lexi."

"No problem. Have a great night, Y/N," she says sweetly before walking off towards the hotel. You stand around for another minute or so, just thinking. Tonight wasn't the endless fun you imagined it would be, but it was probably just as important.