Chapter 4.5 : An upcoming festival

On Craig's way home from the garden that evening, he stopped by the night market to stock up on grub for the upcoming week. Walking through the busy square, he basked in the hustle and bustle of Inkoctolis City. Being from small Calamari County, he was a little swept away by the significant change of pace from the sleepy rural town. The exciting buzz of city life was definitely still something he had yet to get over.

 He gazed at the many stands on his way to his beloved crabby cakes, all selling things from bowls of cold noodles to stuffed toys and nicknacks along with colorful banners and posters, with lights all around. Craig definitely wasn't used to this level of flashiness.

 However, even among everything, one stand particularly stood out. He stopped to get a closer look. It was in a slightly isolated part of the square, and the light fell in a way that made it a bit secluded. Sorta shady feeling... Yet, curiosity got the best of Craig, so he walked up to the stand.

 To his surprise, it sold a large selection of packaged goods, mainly sweets and snacks. "Wow, these look good...!" Craig thought. "I wonder..."

 He picked up a box of biscuit sticks and scanned the label. "'Wasabi-Matcha Flavor'? Huh..."

 He then noticed the shopkeeper behind the stand. He held up the light green box higher and tried to get her attention.

  "Ma'am?" No response. 

 Craig slightly raised his voice. "Ma'am, how much do these cost?"

 The old octoling woman, who was attending the stand from a wooden chair, perked up from a light slumber. After a short moment, she replied. 

 "350 Geso for that, dearie."

 "And the rest?" He inquired.

 The old woman raised her brow. "350 each."

 Craig nodded and the stand keeper went back to resting her eyes.

"Ah, it's a little pricey..." 

 He looked through more of the stand's wares. There was a lot of stuff that seemed super interesting, like "Prickly Perry's Prickly Pear Flavored Gummies" ("Those have gotta be from the Splatlands!"), "Slapping Lollies" ("Am I supposed to slap someone with these before I eat them?") Satellite Wafers ("They must be out of this world! Hehe.")

 However, some things had really odd flavor combinations, like "Candied Herring"("Ew.") or "Ant Suckers" ("Are those real ants in there?? Double Ew.") or "Pickle Cotton Candy"("That actually doesn't sound too bad.") or "SUPER SPICY ROASTED SCORPION CHIPS". (Maybe one day, he would be brave enough to try those, but that day definitely wasn't today...). 

 The rest was all normal stuff like jelly straws, candy sushi, biscuit sticks, sour hard candy, etc, etc. Not the most exciting stuff, but still yummy. He was definitely tempted...

 Craig tried his best to reason with himself. "Hmm, should I really be spending that much on candy and snacks, though?"

 Just then, two young inkling children came up next to him, giggling. Apparently, he wasn't the only one interested in the stand.

 "Hey, hey, look!" The shorter of the two tugged on his sibling's arm to alert him of his newest discovery.

 The older child looked up and pointed. "Wahh! Look at all the candy today!"

 The younger child nodded excitedly. "There's chocolates too! I like chocolates a lot!"

 "Me too!" The older one grabbed a box of chocolate cookie dippers. "Do–do you think Mama would let us get these?"