Chapter 8.5: Let's start a band!

Tavi eagerly broke the surface of the emerald green jelly. The light fruity acidity, paired with the flat grassy undertones was a pair to die for! And with the small chunks of candied wasabi scattered throughout? Yes, this jelly was most definitely worth the five-year wait!

 Out of blue, Craig aggressively slapped down several music sheets on the grass.

 "We need to conceal our identities for you to go into town right?"

 Tavi devoured his next mouthful while nodding thoughtfully. "Right."

 "So, let's start a band!"

 "Huh?"

 "Let's start a band!"

 "No, I heard you the first time." Octavio looked at him skeptically. "Don't you need more than two people to start a band?"

 "Not really in our case. You're a DJ, arent you? And I'm a pretty mean vocalist if I do say so myself. With you on music and me on mic, we can get by without anyone finding out you're a prince. And make some sick tunes while we're at it!"

 Octavio's blood ran cold, His lying was coming back to bite him straight in the bass. He hadn't expected his initial introduction to actually matter in the long run...

 "I've already come up with some ideas too. I thought we could go for an electronic-"

 Octavio didn't really hear the rest of whatever he was rambling about. Inside his head was total chaos at the moment. So far, he could only see this ending badly. He had to come up with some type of excuse.

 "Uhm... We don't actually have to start a band, you know. We can just pretend we're in one."

 "Well, I guess you're right. But, I really want to be in a band! You see, back when I was a highschooler, me and a couple of friends started a little band, and it was tons of fun! We even landed a couple of gigs now and then. I feel like there's something special here– potential, you could say."

 It seemed Craig was deadset on this. He didn't want to let him down but... He would have to tell Craig sooner or later. Sooner seemed like the better (albeit still bad) option.

 Octavio inhaled.

 "What's wrong?"

 "I'm... Not actually a DJ. I lied to you to seem cooler. I'm sorry." He choked out at last.

 The fake DJ didn't have the courage to look at him. He couldn't bear to look Craig in the eye. Even the taste of his jelly couldn't soothe the bitterness building up in his throat.

 "Ah."

 Octavio could practically feel Craig's disappointment tearing into him. Surely he hated him now, right...?

 "But you can learn, can't you?"

 Octavio perked back up.

 "It's been a while since I've been on an open mic. No doubt I'm a little rusty, heh." He said humbly. "But, we can both learn together."

 Craig didn't hate him! Joyus day!

 "Really?"

 "Yeah." Craig smiled and looked at him expectantly. "So, whaddya say? You in?"

 Why not? Shell, the idea actually seemed fun now! Octavio enthusiastically raised his spoon.

 "I'm in! Let's start a band!"

---

Happy holidays everyone -Klara