L: Une petite attaque d'anxiété (A little anxiety attack)

Leo couldn't grasp why he had suddenly dashed off or why his feet were not slowing down even now. He couldn't tell if he was even being chased right now by the handsome stranger who had suddenly come up to him and claimed him as his mate. 

He slowed down only when he recognised his surroundings and realised he was in front of his apartment. Not a surprise since he had searched real hard to look for an apartment near his university. He stopped in front of his door to take out the keys and hurry inside but also paused to let his wolf senses pick up any signs of the stranger. Relieved that he didn't pick up any new scent, he moved inside and went straight for his bedroom to flop down face-first on his pillow. 

Even though all he wanted was to shut off the whirring in his brain and forget the scene at the store, it was all he could think of. Who was that man and why had he picked Leo to claim as his mate?  How could he tell or presume that Leo was his mate? What did it even mean to be someone's mate? His mother had never been too clear on that subject and after asking a couple of times when he was a teen, he had given up. 

He'd just chalked it up to the extreme myths and lore that came with being a werewolf, like how the moon controlled our movements or the full moon gave us the strength of the Hulk. Yeah, right. Leo had just assumed that werewolves having destined mates who completed and loved each other unconditionally was just the equivalent of humans having soulmates.

An illusion weaved by dreamers to make life more hopeful rather than the dreadful reality it was.

Ughh how did life get so complicated? Leo had positively no clue about what he should do next. He could call his family and ask them about this stuff, except they'd never mentioned anything like this to him before. Also, his mother and older sister would both be working right now so it's not like he'd be able to talk to them for more than three minutes. 

He had the option of calling his university friends, but more than half of them were human and had been already present at the store and the latter, like Kelly, would only end up asking questions Leo had no answers to.

He missed his best friend since childhood, Lina, who was a beta, at times like these but she was in Paris, learning to be a pâtissière under some guy called Monsieur Touzaint and though they kept in touch, it was mostly through odd-timed texts or weekly video calls.

After enough wallowing on his bed though, Leo got up and moved to the nook that he liked to call a mini kitchen and decided to make himself an iced tea with mint leaves. He was rather good at it, if he did say so himself.

Just as he was about to finish though, there was a knock on his door and immediately his nose picked up the scent  of the man from the store. The thought mate ran though his head almost involuntarily and he shut his eyes tight for a second.

His mate was here.

Trying to relax after seeing how the man had tracked him down, he moved to open the door. Better to get this over with, Leo told himself.

Soon as he opened the door, Leo came in contact with a broad muscled chest that had apparently decided to derive inspiration from a rock since it also looked like the "hardest naturally occurring substance" he had ever seen. He snorted, thinking he must have lost his marbles entirely if he was comparing male chests to diamonds. Though he couldn't blame himself too much for that, since Leo had long ago realized that not only was he gay, he was uber gay for guys built like a tank who looked like they could crush you with their fingers like a twig, without losing their sleep. Or breath. And...this man who was supposed to be his mate, whose name Leo didn't even know, looked exactly like that. 

Rubbing his hand over his forehead in an exaggerated can't-be-helped gesture, he sidestepped to let the man come inside his house. He probably shouldn't have let a stranger inside his room like that, despite being a werewolf, but this guy had already tracked him down so it wasn't like Leo had much choice. Also, for some unnamed reason, the man's scent was really damn pleasing and comforting for Leo and he inadvertently felt safe with him.