Chapter 7

Author's Note: Hey guys! I'm still going to be uploading every Monday, and sometimes I'll even upload twice a week. This is late just because Wattpad was down yesterday :/ This is dedicated to AngieSnape. Thanks for being a dedicated fan! If you want a chapter dedicaated to you, fan me, vote on a chapter, leave a comment, or dedicate something to me! Of course, people who dedicate something to me will get a chapter dedicated to them sooner than someone who fans, and someone who fans will get one sooner than someone who comments, etc. But enjoy this chapter!

My mind goes blank.

I sit in my chair, listening intently, yet so lost. A tear forms in my eye, but I've lost the muscle to wipe it away. It trickles down my cheek and falls to the floor with a drip. But still, I don't move.

"I'm sorry, Zac," he says, his brown eyes reaching out to me. "I know how much you love her, but..." His voice trails off, and he looks at me, but I avoid his gaze. I focus on the ground, trying to keep calm.

"What do you mean, she's dead?" My voice is barely above a whisper. I can hear the whimper in my voice, and I hate it, but there's nothing I can do to stop it.

"She, well, how do I put this," stammers the Professor. "Her tracker, which was injected in her arm, quit sending a signal last night. In fact, oddly at the exact same time that Rhett disappeared."

"Are you sure that-" My voice cracks so I stop and wipe away a tear. "Are you sure she's dead? What if- what if she-" My voice is shaking so bad I have to stop. I snivel up and wipe my eyes again.

"I'm sorry, Zac," says Carly. "No, those trackers have enough battery to last a lifetime."

"Can't we go look for her?" I'm talking so quietly now that I wonder if they can even hear me. A tight knot forms in my throat, and I almost choke on tears.

"We did, last night," says the Professor. "Me and my team. We flew hovercrafts over the place, searching. Unfortunately, the Capitol still has the force field up and it was impossible to get through. But we couldn't find her. She might have died in one of the houses. We don't know. We hope to somehow invade the arena and get through the field one day, but for now, we just don't have that technology."

I feel my head begin to hurt. Something throbs in my head. Another tear drips onto the floor, and I wipe my nose. I knew she had to be dead, but I had this crazy hope she would somehow live, and be rescued by someone, and live with me forever. But obviously not.

 I feel like curling up in a ball in a corner and crying myself to sleep. I'll never forgive myself. We were so close, so close to going home and living a happy life, but I ran off without her, and my stupidity cost Crystal her life.

"We'll give you some time to... comprehend all this," says the Professor. "Carly, show Zac to his room. We should be at the Capitol tomorrow evening." Carly stands up and walks me to my room. I've got a fairly large room, with a bed, nightstand, dresser, and bathroom. The walls are painted green, and I almost freak out, because it reminds me of the orchards from the Games. But I lay in the bed, and Carly leaves, and I fall asleep almost instantly. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a little girl, lying in a meadow. 

Another girl sits next to her, holding her in her arms. The first girl was a dark-skinned girl, with brown eyes and black hair. She looks young. The second girl looks about 16, with a brown braid down her back. On her jacket, she has a little mockingjay pin.

At first, I hear a distant melody. But then, the humming slowly gets to me and I can make out words. I nearly choke on the song I recognize so dearly.