Chapter 6

Author's Note: I am so, so, SO sorry for the long wait! I've had sooo much homework but finally decided to upload today. So, I hope you enjoy! From now on, I'll try to upload at least every Monday (Those days I'm in the computer lab at school, so I can finish up the chapter lol). The deadline is next Monday. So, enjoy! Dedicated to e3_thg_jas99! Thanks for fanning and voting all the chapters! (:

"That's the last of 'em," gasps Gally as he drops down the last box in my room.

"Thanks again," I tell him, frankly surprised that he is helping me by his own free will, missing out on a day of work just to help the victor of the 25th Hunger Games. I reach into my pocket and grab some extra cash I always carry around. Being a victor pays well.

I pull out a couple of gold coins and drop them into his hand. His eyes light up and he looks up at me in glee.

"Thank you so much!" What is a fraction of my earnings is a month worth of pay to this middle aged man, who works in the orchards. Gally is respected by everybody for being as strong and hard-working as he is. He is also one of the most generous in the district.

"No problem," I say. Gally's forehead is streaming with sweat from helping me unload boxes of new furniture into my new home. A layer of dirt and grime cover his face. But, never the less, his eyes are eager and ready to work.

"Whenever you need me, you know where to find me!" I thank him one more time and he gets back to his family in time for dinner, leaving me standing in my new house. We've already set out all the big furniture across the house- the couches, the tables, etc. Now I just have to make the place feel more lively. And wash the place of memories.

A group of Peacekeepers were able to somehow scavenge a few things from the decimated house. They stopped by earlier and dropped the things off to the side. Now, I look over at it and a weird feeling etches through me. I feel my anxiety growing, but I know that whatever's in that box should stay in that box. At least for now.

Too many memories, I sigh. I turn back to the first box. I take out a large picture of a mockingjay and place it over the fireplace. I place it nicely on the wall and then marvel over its beauty. A lone mockingjay rests on burned willow tree, singing a tune into the sun. I sigh. Even this reminds me of Crystal. A tear forms in my eye, so I quickly turn away and take out a vase from the box. I begin placing it on the table, setting it right, when my stomach rumbles. I sigh and put the vase down, walking over to the kitchen.

I open the pantry door and stare at what food I have. I finally start up the stove and decide on cooking tacos. I throw the hamburger meat on the stove and wait for it to cook. Meanwhile, I get out some tortillas and spices. I cook the tacos and then sit down at the table, alone.

The silence is almost unbearable. I eat alone, like I've gotten used to. But I still haven't gotten quiet used to the silence. It's so strong and powerful that the silence is almost a noise of itself.

I've gotten started on my fourth taco when Carly barges in through the door, panic in her eyes, her hair a tangled mess. I stand up. Something is not right.

"Hurry!" she cries. "We have to go. Now!" She practically drags me out of my house. My heart beats so fast it's almost like a bomb. Confusion sweeps over me, but I do as she says. The wind whips her hair around, and I see the sky getting dark. 

"Where are we going?" I try to yell over the wind. She looks at me with danger in her eyes.

"Just follow me!" She makes a sharp right and we plow into the orchards. I stop, taking a huge breath. No. I will never, ever go in there again. Memories flash by my brain, each one more painful than the last. Pictures of horse spiders and Veronica and Crystal and animals and Cody- it's unbearable.