Chapter 8

Author's Note: Sorry, another short chapter D': But the next chapter will be really good and interesting, I promise! Dedicated to kittyky4774. Thanks for your inspiration! :) I think I'll try to upload the next chapter soon, but if not, I will by Monday! :)

"Carly! Get over here, now!" 

I stare at the paper. The top reads 'WANTED' in bold, red letters. Below that is his picture, and below that, his description. Finally, at the very bottom, it says there is a $500 reward for finding and turning him in. Carly and Professor Brown look at each other in bewilderment and charge at me, panic in their eyes.

"Zac!" Carly cries. "Zac! What happened!" I hold out the paper to Carly, who takes it and reads it. I see an odd look in her eye, and she shares a glance with the Professor. I shake my head, because I must be mistaken. That look...

"Oh..." sighs the Professor, when he sees the flyer. He squints his eyes. "This is bad. This is really, really bad." He glances up at us, and then shoves the paper in his suit pocket. "Come on, we need to go."

We practically sprint through the Capitol from then on, dodging pedestrians and pooder-lovers with twenty dogs on leashes. I take it all in. Even though I know I'll be back here in a few weeks to do my final interviews, and then again in a few months for my Victor's Tour, and then back next year when I mentor the next set of tributes...

Mentor. It finally hits me that I'll actually be a mentor next year, I can barely comprehend it. Wow. Next year, I'll really be teaching two people to fight to their deaths. I shudder. I'm actually scared, and nervous. I don't know what to do with myself. Train two people to die? The only other option is suicide.

We dash through the Capitol, and I watch every little wacky thing, from people wearing neon colors and funky hairstyles to buildings shaped like animals. Even the disco lights adorning tall restaraunts and short, fat pubs catch my attention.

Finally, we appear at a small shop that looks abonded. The grey walls look bland next to the extraordinary buildings adorning the sky of the Capitol. I see the dark windows and the not lit open sign and sigh.

"It's closed," I mutter. 

"No, it's not," says the Professor as he steps towards the door. He pulls out a large key ring and sifts through them. Okay, when I say large, that's an understatement. A huge key ring may be more appropriate. There must be hundreds of keys on that one ring. My eyebrows go up. He carefully selects one, how I do not know, but he selects one, pops it into the lock, and opens it.

I follow him into the dark, damp building. The Professor flicks on the lights, and I squint at the brightness. I look around. There are several plush chairs set up against mirrors with stands, where hair and makeup products rest. The smell of pelts fills my nose. 

"Tigris, we're here," shouts out Carly. There's a scuttling in the back, and behind a rack of fur coats, a young lady who must be Tigris comes out. I tilt my head out of confusion. How did she just come out of aa rack? And at 3:00 in the morning?

"Professor Brown! Nice to see you again!" says Tigris as she comes towards us, giving the Professor a huge hug. 

"Tigris! Looking good!" the Professor remarks. Tigris and Professor Brown share several remarks about clothes, hair, etc.

But in fact, Tigris was looking good. She had dirty blond hair that fell to her shoulders in curly waves. Her eyes were a deep color of purple, as if she was reminding everyone where she's from. But I have to say, her eyes did look pretty. She had a nice tan, and her teeth were gleaming white. She was about the same height as me, and she wore a tight turquoise blue dress that fell to her thighs and reflected her shape.