release

krista

I spoke to people as little as I could on the drive back to Matrix Academy. After my little time with Frost back in my room, I didn't trust that I was in control of myself. What I was thinking back there...

          I didn't want to relive it.

          Leaving home was rough, but everybody suggested it was best I go back to school and try to connect as much pieces as I could. I didn't generally want to go, for one, because my mother had literally just been on the brink of death and I cured her. Two, my father looked like he really wanted a private chat, and there was only one way that could end. And three, Frost would still be with me, every day.

          There had to be a way I could get out of seeing him. I couldn't face him after what I nearly did.

          Before I left the estate, my mother escorted us to the gates. She had her arm around my waist and held me close. She hadn't done this since... well, since never, that I could remember, anyway.

          Maybe healing my mother from an incurable disease would turn out to be one of the best decisions of my life. I'd gotten closer to her in a couple of hours than I had in my whole life.

          She pinched my cheeks, causing them to boil with heat. Her grip was stronger than I imagined possible for someone who just recovered from certain death.

          "I know I don't say it as often as I should – and maybe nearly dying was an epiphany or whatever – but I am so proud to have you as my daughter. You don't need to look perfect, or dress suitably, though I would prefer it," She pointed a finger at me, teasingly. For the first time, I could laugh at her jokes.

          For eighteen years, we'd been miscommunicating. Words, actions; they got lost somewhere in the haze of it all.

          "You are beautiful, smart and so considerate. Krista, I love you."

          My eyes suddenly stung, and I couldn't keep my mouth closed. She complimented me without contradicting it in the meanwhile. This was new to me, and to her.

          "I love you too." And I meant it. Oddly, after nearly two decades of suppression.

          She smiled, her gaze wandering to the boys behind me, none of them talking to each other. Damon and Alec stood together, stark contrasts in appearance and body attitude. If it weren't for the similarity in looks, nobody would have guessed they were related.

          Frost stayed by his own, floating lightly above the hood of the car. Compared to the boys' small frames, he stood like a tower among village huts. Everything in the same presence of this creature seemed diminutive and mediocre in comparison.

          "They're lovely boys, even the quiet, disturbed one. I don't know what you're doing with them."

          I was befuddled.

         "What do you mean?"

          She looked at me in that way. You know, the "isn't it obvious" kind of one.

          "Sweetie, they obviously like you. They stare at you, as if you're shiny and brand new. Believe me, I know when a boy is interested." She said.

          I turned back to them. Frost and Damon, definitely. One of them told me even though there was no need to, except that he couldn't stand me not knowing. The other... well, I liked more.

          Alec, however, thought of me an inconvenience. That's all I was to him.

          I told Mom she was probably right, although I knew in my heart and mind that she wasn't spot on.