Burnout

~(Y/n)'s POV~

I was beat. I came back from...'that' and immediately tore off my impromptu costume, tossing it into the darkness of my room. I sat on my bed and took a minute to try and organize my thoughts.

"I...I actually did it..." I stared at my hands as I felt myself begin to tremble. "I killed someone...no...I killed two people...I took their lives." I continued to mutter to myself. "Just like that...they're gone...because of me."

My thoughts swam as I lost focus and smoke slowly rose off my body, it curled and swayed as my mind tore itself at this realization. "They get no more chances...no chance to redeem themselves...no chance to atone...they could've had family and friends who'll be forced to have to attend their funeral...all because of me." I felt a hole chew it's way into my heart. "I need someone to help me with this...but I can't go to anyone with this!" I paused as I ran the thoughts through my head in a desperate attempt to figure out if anyone could help me justify this. "Cass hates me, the Twins would be appalled, maybe May...but she's been homeless and would probably think I'm just like the dirty scumbags who murder without any sense or reason." I started to emit more smoke, it's a good thing I disabled my smoke detector or it would have gone off by now.

"Winter...I gave her a half baked excuse so she might not know, and she works in a hospital so taking lives is out of the question...and Willow...she's cool but I don't think telling her I'm responsible for those deaths would bode well.." I collapsed on my back, exhaustion creeping over me. I was spent...physically, mentally and...emotionally. This is the least amount of exercise I've done compared to when I was a real hero. I start hyperventilating, clutching at my chest desperately, trying my hardest to stop my heart from exploding from the speed it was beating.

"I...I can't fucking wrap my head around this...I fight villains who've murdered more people than I've met in my life. How? How do they live their lives with the weight of the lives they took?"

~??? P.O.V~

I whistled a happy little tune as I tucked my hands in my jacket pockets, winking at a cute girl as I passed by on my way to one of the nicest cafes in Edinburg, a city that is located an hour or so away from Wellview City, Café Cocoa Beans. Unoriginal, I know. I had seen it when I first got here but hadn't had the chance to check it out. I arrived and was seated pretty quickly, at the last empty table no less, lucky me!

I ordered some random, stupidly named drink, and sighed inwardly as I had to use their weird names for sizes. Why can't I just say large, damn it? A coffee order shouldn't be an essay!

After my drink was served I was actually pretty comfortable. I had also gotten some weird pastry with my drink, and was calmly reading my book when one of the waitresses came over.

"Excuse me sir? Would you mind sharing your table with another customer? We're at full capacity and won't push it any further, but it would be appreciated...she's also a regular and a good friend.."

"Oh...Sure! I don't mind if that's the case." I shrugged and continued reading, I hope this regular is a good conversationalist...

  "Hello—Oh! Is that 'The Art of Electricity'? That's such a good read! The author is quite good at conveying what he wants us to learn and all the different ways to make it!

I blinked as I looked at the girl who sat with me "Uh...Yeah, it is, and yeah! It's so hard to find knowledgeable books on electricity, it's important for me to know this stuff so I'm glad he makes it somehow enjoyable." I held out my hand and she took it as we shook hands, yet she jumped slightly as static lightly shocked her.

"I'm Cass, sorry for having to trouble you, my family is visiting Edinburg for a funeral, and I just needed time away from the rest of the family." She laughed nervously.