The tale of a distressed girl

"I feel like maybe we should be leaving with a trophy or something," Aiden said as the two of them walked out of the church for the last time as grief counseling participants.

"Yeah. It would be a nice addition to these resource folders we got," she said with a snicker, wiggling hers in her hand.

"I mean it," he chuckled.

"Trophies for best educated widow and widower?" She joked and he let out a laugh.

"I guess it is a bit stupid. Maybe trophies aren't the right thing. Maybe a certificate or a badge," Aiden added and they both laughed.

"How are you feeling about it? Honestly. Do you think you're taking away something from the meetings?" Emma said, getting serious a moment later.

"I'm taking away you, if you know what I mean," he joked, nudging her with his elbow and she let out a laugh.

"Aiden, I'm serious," she said, unable to keep the smile off her face.

"Um. Yeah. I think so," he said as he opened the passenger door for her and waited as she got in before closing it after her.

"Do you think you got something out of it?" Aiden asked as he got in the truck and started it.

"Yeah," she said, idly placing her hand on her belly.

"We've already used coping mechanisms with each other," Aiden reminded her.

"We have," she said with a nod as he pulled out of the parking lot.

"Oh, hey. What did you want to talk about?" He asked, looking over at her for a moment before he focused back on the road.

"Um. Can we... can we maybe go back to your place to talk?" She asked, biting at her lip.

"Yeah. Sure. You don't mind if we pick up Haven from my mom's first, do you? I mean... if that's okay. You could stay over tonight if you wanted," Aiden offered, looking over at her again.

"Yeah. Okay," she said, smiling softly at him.

"Okay," he said, quickly taking the next right, heading to his parent's house instead of taking her home.

When he pulled up into the driveway, Emma was transported back years. All the feelings of familiarity she felt at Aiden's parent's house as a teenager came flooding back to her. She avoided even going near his childhood home for months because of the guilt she felt over leaving him. But now that the two of them were back together, she felt so much different. She felt the fondness, the nostalgia, and it filled her with warmth.

"Wow. It feels like I'm sixteen again," Emma said, smiling over at Aiden once he parked the truck and cut the engine.

"Yeah. Not much has changed," Aiden snickered.

"Only us," she said, smiling at him.

"Yeah," he said, smiling back at her for a moment before he leaned in to kiss her.

"Do you want to come in with me?" He asked carefully.

"Yeah. Yeah, of course. I miss your mom and dad," Emma said with an affectionate smile.

"My dad's bowling tonight, but my mom is home, and I'm sure she misses you too," Aiden said with a chuckle.

"Does she... does she know about us?" She asked as Aiden grabbed the handle of his door. He paused and looked back at her.

"No. I-I haven't said anything," he told her, looking a little a bit apprehensive for a moment.

"Oh. Uh... I mean, you can... you know... tell her. If you'd like," Emma offered, feeling her own feelings of apprehension.