Chapter One

Alexis watched as her father came in through the front door. By the way he stumbled she could tell he was drunk. She saw her brother bolt up the stairs and straight to his bedroom. She tried to do the same but wasn’t quick enough. She felt her shirt tug her back and soon the collar was cutting into her neck.

“Little shit.” He father growled, punching her in the back.

“I’m Sorry Father!” She whimpered as she fell to the floor. She rolled onto her back and she felt a foot on her stomach, instantly winding her. When her father removed his foot from her stomach she made a scramble to get up. She watched her father walk away into the kitchen before limping upstairs to her bedroom. She locked the door slowly and shuffled to her bed. She flopped onto it and took a couple of long deep breaths to properly regain her breathing.

Alexis lifted up her shit. A bruise, although only faint, was already forming. She lightly poked her stomach and winced in pain. She heard a soft knock on her bedroom door. She tried to stand up but hissed as she was still in pain.

"Lexi?,” Came the soft voice of her mother. Alexis smiled and managed to stand up. She kept in the hiss though, as she knew it would worry her mother even more. She limped towards the door and slowly unlocked it. After opening the door her mother instantly hugged her. Alexis pulled out of the hug and into the room properly. She shut the door and locked it again.

“I’m so sorry baby girl.” Her mother said to her.

“It’s alright Mum.” Alexis said. She scanned her eyes over her mother’s body to see any visible damage her father had done to her mother. She sighed as she saw the bruises that were already forming. She looked into her mother’s eyes, her facial expression serious.

“Come September, Sev and I won’t be here.” She started. “So what I want for you to do is pack up your things and go. Go to the Leaky Cauldron,” She finished and as she talked she let out a small hiss.

“I will.” Whispered her mother, “Now. Let’s get you tucked into bed.” She chuckled. Alexis smiled and went to get changed into her pyjamas. She walked over to her bed slowly and got under the warm covers. Her mother walked over to the bed and tucked the covers in around her.

“Want me to say with you for a bit?” She asked, sitting down at the end of the bed. Alexis nodded, she always felt safe when her mother was around. It’s was a nice feeling for her though so that was fine. Clarabelle nodded and lay down, on top of the covers, next to her daughter.

“It never used to be like this you know.” She said to her daughter.

“It didn’t?” Alexis queried. Clarabelle nodded.

“Although, that time was before I told your father I was a witch.” She said. Alexis nodded and shut her eyes, as she wanted to go to sleep. Clarabelle smiled at her daughter and kissed her forehead.

“Sleep tight.” She said softly, standing up. Alexis soon drifted off into a deep sleep. In which she dreamed of a land made of sweets, chocolate and anything sugary. Clarabelle unlocked the room door and walked out of her daughter’s room. She listened at her Son’s door and she walked to her bedroom after hearing the soft snores coming from his mouth. She opened the door carefully and checked to see if her husband was in the room. She let out a sigh of relief she didn’t even know she had been holding in when she saw he wasn’t. She softly walked into the room and changed into a warm nightie. She padded softly over to her bed and pulled back the covers. She lay down on the soft bed and pulled the covers over her. Clarabelle closed her eyes, falling into a dreamless sleep.