|{2}|

Three days before the ball and Wilbur had instructed Aster to help Eret get Fundy to hold still long enough for Eret to take his son's measurements for his fancier outfit for the ball. He had some last-minute paperwork to finish up so that's what he did while Aster would get his son ready for bed after the measurements were done. Wilbur yawned as he set his quill down in its stand before standing and stretching his arms upwards, hearing a few satisfying pops.

He walked around the desk and headed for his son's room. The door was slightly ajar as he got there and he could hear the piano being played. There was no way it was Fundy though, Wilbur had heard him play a couple of days ago and he hadn't been that advanced.

As soon as the person started to sing though he knew it was Aster. The smooth voice matched the piano beautifully. Wilbur stood with his back against the ajar door and just listened as Aster sang. He had heard her sing twice before, once when they were 12 and once when they were 18. Then her mother died and she hadn't sung since. Hearing her sing again made Wilbur want to start crying but he held his tears back.

The song was an old lullaby that he hadn't heard since he was little. Aster's mother would sing Wilbur to sleep if he was being troublesome for Aster. Usually being "troublesome" meant that he tried to convince her to play tag in the ballroom in the middle of the night. He was successful only once and they had had the best night of their fifteen-year-old lives until they got scolded by Aster's mother.

When the song ended Wilbur waited a moment before walking into the room to find Aster tucking Fundy in tighter, his sleeping form sprawled out and drool already escaping from the corner of his mouth. Wilbur put a hand over his mouth as he tried not to laugh. Aster spotted him and raised an eyebrow at his suppressed laugh.

"I wouldn't be laughing if I were you. He gets it from you." That shut Wilbur up quickly. "The amount of times I've walked in to wake you up and you've been twisted all the way around with your stringy limbs all over the place is incredible." Wilbur stared at her in shock, mouth agape.

"Close your mouth, your highness, you look like a fish." Wilbur closed his mouth and swallowed, still shocked. "Let's get you ready for bed your highness," Aster whispered as she walked past him and out the door. Wilbur quickly gave his son a kiss on his forehead before following Aster back to his room a couple of doors down.

She had laid out his sleepwear on his sheets and was preparing a hot bath for him. As he took off his coat, leaving just his tunic over his chest Aster added some soaps to the bath making the room smell nice as the steam spread. She lay a towel on a nearby chair before walking to the doors. "I will be back soon with a hot water bottle for your highness." She closed the doors and her footsteps faded away.

When she returned, he had finished his bath and was reading a book as he leaned against his backboard. He got himself tucked into the sheets and Aster lifted the back to place the hot water bottle near his feet. "Eret shall be coming over to take your measurements to make sure you don't need new formal wear. He's been a bit backed up with orders but Niki has been helping him and they're all set to do yours now. You also have to supervise the decorating of the great hall for-"

"Aster."

"Yes, your highness?"

"Could you read this book to me?" She looked at him with a curious look in her eyes before nodding her head.

"Of course your highness." She picked up the book from his bedside table and began to open it, intending to remain standing.

"Oh don't stand, come sit." He patted the further side of his bed. Aster looked visibly nervous but complied and sat on the edge of the bed, her back to Wilbur.

She opened the book and began to read to him, he relaxed to her words as she turned through the pages of the book one by one. He found his eyes drooping and let them close, "Goodnight Aster." Was whispered to the young woman before sleep took over.

Aster closed the book as he fell asleep. She walked around and put the book on the bedside table again before going to the doors. Grasping one of the handles she looked back towards the sleeping Prince and whispered, "Goodnight Wilbur." Before exiting the room, closing the doors behind her.