Part 22

🅴🆂🆃🅴🅻🅻🅰 let out a melodious chortle.

It's been a while considering she did. It evokes just how much she yearns to have Aries by her side now. Peeping at Rue they made eye contact. Rue is adjudicated to be nice and shares, Estella doesn't necessitate the bag to sleep, she has slept in the freezing woods before for days. The most prominent is the anxiety radiating nevertheless in Rue's eyes despite having Estella on her side. "Why can't you sleep?"

Rue seems to hesitate her counterclaim, withdrawing to speak for a minute. Estella didn't overpower the girl, directed her eyes back on the mysterious skies, and her ears alert throughout them.

"My... My mother would constantly sing me to sleep... I can't sleep without a song now. W-What about your mother?" Rue is trying to put the attention away from her neediness for a song to utterly dream, Estella understands that, although she lacks memories of her family.

"Who knows?... My brain secures up every memory of my family after they died." Rue frowned at the statement, she made Estella speak about her loved one that bequeathed her although Estella's tone didn't appear bothered by it.

The silent night continues between them, Estella's subconscious is blank but somehow a smooth tune rings through it. Just like before the husky timbre of her father reappeared in her mind. Singing. She reminisces the memory, the scary words of a cradlesong that crushed her heart every time her father sang it despite not understanding it at such a young age.

Recalling the lyrics now made her understand why her mother hated the song. Estella glimpses at Rue, her eyes still wide open despite being in a sleepy state. "You want me to sing?" Rue didn't hide her excitement at the question as she drowed her head rapidly like a child, she was to apprehend what she got.

Estella took a deep breath, trying her best to remember the first word of the song. In her mind, the image of her father reappears with his toothy grin. Closing her eyes and softly humming the tune, she pictures herself singing this along with her father.

ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴇᴇ?

Estella opened her eyes slowly, her thoughts overflowed with her father and mother's memories

ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇʏ ꜱᴛʀᴜɴɢ ᴜᴘ ᴀ ᴍᴀɴ, ᴛʜᴇʏ ꜱᴀʏ ᴍᴜʀᴅᴇʀᴇᴅ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ.

She glances at Rue, seeing her considerately falling to her singing.

ꜱᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ᴅɪᴅ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴ ʜᴇʀᴇ, ɴᴏ ꜱᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇʀ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ɪᴛ ʙᴇ,

Estella starts remembering her last nightmare, the still yet-to-know boy, that held so much solicitude for her. She snaps her head to the side, hearing the sounds of twigs being snapped as the footstep comes louder to her.

ɪꜰ ᴡᴇ ᴍᴇᴛ, ᴜᴘ ᴀᴛ ᴍɪᴅɴɪɢʜᴛ, ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀɴɢɪɴɢ ᴛʀᴇᴇ.

ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴇᴇ?

Carefully picking up her bow and arrow, still keeping the same volume and tone of the sounds she stares heatedly at the direction of the noise. Stretching the bow and aiming right where the sounds coming closer and closer. Glimpsing at the presently asleep Rue.

ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴀᴅ ᴍᴀɴ ᴄᴀʟʟᴇᴅ ᴏᴜᴛ, ꜰᴏʀ ʜɪꜱ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ꜰʟᴇᴇ.

ꜱᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ᴅɪᴅ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴ ʜᴇʀᴇ, ɴᴏ ꜱᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇʀ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ɪᴛ ʙᴇ,

When Estella meets eyes with the intruder, it's Peeta. Estella frowns seeing the state of the mess the older male is in. With both hands raised in surrender. Estella benevolently puts her weapon down, letting out a sigh as she signals for Peeta to come in.

ɪꜰ ᴡᴇ ᴍᴇᴛ, ᴜᴘ ᴀᴛ ᴍɪᴅɴɪɢʜᴛ, ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀɴɢɪɴɢ ᴛʀᴇᴇ.

SWISH!

Estella promptly was adequate to evade a throwing knife aimed at her but it left a scar on her cheek. Her eyes grew as they originated from behind Peeta to the man who knows holds fault in it. "RUE! GET UP!" Just as Estella shouted for Rue who jolted awake from her dreamland, the Careers appeared out of their hiding behind a guilty-looking Peeta.

Cato, Marvel, Clover, and Glimmer.

"Come on, Estella. That's some great singing you got there. Almost put me to sleep." Cato smirked as he germinated a step further to Estella who stood in front of Rue for protection she raised the arrow right at him, warning him a step more she would.

Estella glanced at each one of them. She didn't have the body or weight to fight them but she needed to distract them for Rue to run. She glanced at the girl behind her and then at the bag holding her dagger, food, ropes, and shelter. Everything Rue would need to survive; Rue seemed to understand what Estella was planning and quickly shook her head and whimpers of tears came out.

"What'cha planning there, beautiful." Estella's scowl becomes more dangerous at Cato's words, she peeps at Peeta who had centered on her already. The simplistic look told him that Estella still believed in him and this would be his chance to prove her right or wrong.

Estella smirks, grinning and chewing her lips to contain her laughter as she scans the Career pack becoming pitifuller. "... I see Aries got to you. You seem a little small there, Careers." Estella got her answer when Glimmer flinched with recollections of the memory causing Estella to laugh in amusement.

Cato growled in anger, and not thinking twice he charged Estella. "Now!" Estella sounds, utilizing her bow to swing the most obstinate she could right on Cato's head, earning him to groan and fall to the ground. Then evades Clover's knife and strikes back by throwing arrows barehand at her.

Seeing Estella more focus on Clover, knowing Glimmer is the weakest among them, Marvel tackles her down to the ground. At the moment of being shoved to the ground, grappling to fight a bigger male's weight on her, she intercepted Peeta compelling Rue who is sobbing out for her back and notably into the woods.

"I expected more fight from you."

Estella glowers at Marvel, Cato with a bleeding head now persisted above Estella with a frown while Clover and Glimmer sneer at her weak frame. "Oh please! I bet I'll last longer here in this shitty game than you!" Estella laughs out evilly like an absurd person, spitting right on Marvel's face, not fretting that she's in the bottom chain, the prey here.

 "Oh please! I bet I'll last longer here in this shitty game than you!" Estella laughs out evilly like an absurd person, spitting right on Marvel's face, not fretting that she's in the bottom chain, the prey here