01

South Korea, 2028.

December 20. 18:30

Shuhua,

It’s been a while since we’ve talked with each other, or at least it’s been a while since you’ve replied to any of my emails. I know you’ve been busy with the whole acting and stuff but I hope you would still try to keep in touch, I want to hear about you from you and not from Yuqi on quick phone calls. 

Speaking of Yuqi, she told me you’ve been in your overworking mode again and I thought we had talked about this in our last emails, you should rest more. I know your job is important and you want to grow as an actress but please focus on your health, you always end up ignoring it when you get too focused and that always ends with you getting sick. 

I hope you’ll take better care of yourself, and I’m sorry I can’t be there to take care of you-

“Minnie” She turned around to see Miyeon standing by the door frame carrying a few books as she walked into the room placing them on the bookshelf. She has been reading a lot lately now that she has so much free time at home. “What are you doing?” She asked, with a smile and Minnie scratched the back of her head as she looked at her laptop then back at her wife.

“Just sending a few emails” She replied. “To Shuhua” She then added, knowing Miyeon would get upset, especially by the way her eyebrows frown so slightly and the corner of her lips twitch, her displeasure was clear but she didn’t say anything and she didn’t need to. “Hey-”

“I didn’t say anything”

“You don’t need to, I can see it in your face”

“Well, I’m sorry I don’t like that you keep in touch with the girl who has a crush on you”

“That was in high school, please let it go, and you know she fell in love with-”

“Let’s not talk about that anymore,” Miyeon finally said. “I don’t want to argue right now,” She said. "And I don't want her to hear us fighting"

Minnie could only nod as she turned around and quickly started to type again.

Anyways, reply to this as soon as you can, it’s the end of the year and I hope to get news from you before christmas. Stay healthy.

Your friend,

Minnie.

x--------------------×-------------------x

She got the tragic news around seven in the morning on the first day of January, after breakfast in what was supposed to be a fresh new start for her family; The cold winds of Winter seemed to only serve to make the news of Mrs. Yeh’s passing hurt even more. Minnie got the news from Yuqi, who was still sniffing and sobbing on the phone while Minnie tried to make sense of what she just heard, Miyeon’s worried gaze fixed on her as she noticed her wife’s silence.