34

Dallas tensed beside me.

This was something we hadn't seen coming. The Vice President had been a part of Ashley's schemes all along.

I wanted to stand up, to scream at him. But it wouldn't do us any good. So instead I dug crescents into my palms, gritting my teeth in anger.

If the Vice President had turned against us, there truly was no one left to build a convincing argument in our favour.

"Mr. Vice President, please state why you are here as a witness in Ms. Romano's favour," The crown prosecutor suggested.

Yes, Mr. Stupid waste of space Vice President, do share why you betrayed us. 

The Vice President nodded, "These four," He looked at us, "Blackmailed me. They threatened to spill the truth about my relationship with Ms. Romano."

"And what is your relationship with Ms. Romano?" The crown attorney prompted.

"Well, I had affair with her, but now," The Vice President looked down bashfully, "I'm getting married to her."

Ashley grinned from the side of the court, raising her hand to display a stunning diamond ring on her ring finger.

What the actual hell?

"What?" Someone gasped, voicing my shock perfectly.

There was no way we'd ever see that one coming.

I turned to see who had spoken. It was Sebastian, who was now fuming from beside Ashley. It appeared he too, had no idea about the Vice President's claims. And that meant he probably felt betrayed.

Serves him right.

"You said you were going to marry me." Sebastian hissed at Ashley.

She waved him off, "Hush dear. The adults are talking."

The crowd wasn't short any murmurs either. People were whispering, questioning what the Vice President's wife probably thought, why the Vice President was interested in Ashley.

"And how, Mr. Vice President, did these young adults threaten you?" The attorney continued.

"They asked that I give them access to the military arms or else they'd tarnish my reputation and destroy my marriage."

"And why did they ask for the military?"

"Because they planned on killing every last person who stands against them."

"THAT IS BULLSHIT!" Ellie exclaimed.

"Language," Scolded the judge. "And you aren't supposed to speak unless you've been asked, Ms. Saunders."

Ellie clamped her lips shut. The four of us were beyond pissed. 

I silently prayed that our old attorney would counter his claims when it came to cross-examination, but I didn't want to hold my breath.

Call it intuition, but I had a strong feeling we weren't going to win the trial.

Melinda offered me a sympathetic frown, mouthing Have patience.

Real easy for her to say.

So that I wouldn't anger myself further, I zoned out once again. I didn't want to know what other lies the Vice President was going to spit out. I just wanted it to be over. I was sick of hiding, sick of just surviving. I wanted my life back.

* * *

I glanced at the clock across the room. Three hours had passed.